Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my Dad's old XJ for a small sum of money.... fixing to get back into crawling since I've been without since 2005... I'm going to try to keep this one on the road as much as possible... even though it means that shit will have to be done and done over again!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picked up a NP435 yesterday.... so I took out all the center console and carpet to get a look at what needs the sawsall. It would appear I'll have to modify the heater duct just forward of the core. I did a little searching and didn't find anything specific, so anyone have any picks of the aftermath of installing a granny box?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Are you going to have to buy a conversion bell housing for that np435? The ratios on the ford version seem like they would be a good candidate for my XJ. I would like to find out what it takes to adapt one to my HO 4.0L and then put a fliped D300 behind that. I think that would be a pretty solid setup.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you going to have to buy a conversion bell housing for that np435? The ratios on the ford version seem like they would be a good candidate for my XJ. I would like to find out what it takes to adapt one to my HO 4.0L and then put a fliped D300 behind that. I think that would be a pretty solid setup.
A conversion bellhousing is one option, the other being a late 258 bellhousing that had a T5 or (IIRC) a T176. The later option you will have to come up with all the clutch linkage or hydraulic retrofit and a place for the CPS.

I want to run a doubler combo... not sure which yet. Leaning toward a 231 with a 241 planetary coupled to a flipped D300. We'll see.....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered up these reinforcement plates from Ruffstuff.... I was going to fab all this out myself, but these will get me started and save some time!

:smokin:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was able to get a little work done this weekend in preperation for welding up the Ruffstuff stiffeners. I thought these would save me a little work, but as it turns out I think it would have been about the same.

Started with stripping the undercoat and welding up the factory seem....

Decided to do these in two pieces as I wasn't ready to cut the LCA mounts off yet...

Drilled some extra holes for more weld area....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Completed one side and ran out of wire, picked up a new spool then ran out argon.... on the weekend no less!

Going to throw together some temporary LCA mounts with some Ballistic joints and 2x.250" DOM....

:D

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you planning on driving it with those temp LCA mounts on the stock crossmember, or is that just to get it rolling around. I wouldn't trust that for more than just driving around the block.
Ya... just to be able to move her around till I can determine what the NP435 swap will need in terms of crossmember mods. Then we'll beef her up! :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
i have a flipped d300 that i pulled out of my xj sor sale for $300 in san jose if you are interested, along with a bunch of other xj stuff. (shcoks, springs, armor, bumpers, sliders, hydro assist steering & 1 ton linkage, etc.) pm if interested.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cuting those damn stock LCA mounts off was a real pain.... the previous owner had lowered the LCA's and welded them up when he added the lift. Anyway the ruffstuff stiffeners are in....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got a chance to get out to pick n pull with my list of potential leaf springs and tape measure in hand. I brought home a pair of Dodge 1/2 ton 60" springs..... this will give me 5" of aditional wheelbase out the rear and motivation to start the comp cut.

Ordered up a 241/205 kit from DDMachine and it looks like I found a decent price on a 14B FF rear!

:smokin:

1 - 20 of 201 Posts