Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best way to rebuild and tune my stock 2f carb?
i tried it myself -- made it worse
i've read here that there was a guy in denver that rebuilds them. tryed e-mailing him no answer (yet).
thanks for any help
mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what i meant was
what is the best place to rebuild and tune the carb
anyone?
thanks

·
Registered
890 Posts
honestly...what did you do wrong? i hads never rebuilt one either. i did mine and ask anyone on the board...krusty, dogwalker, jimmy, theyll tell ya. im a freakin idiot:p! well not too bad but its not too complicated. just let us know what ya did wrong. hell ill do it for ya if you ship it to me. its just an equal amount of hassle as most things on a cruiser.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I think your talking about Jim Chenowith and Im pretty sure the shop is called tlc performance. maybe in colorado, but Im not sure about that. I dont have a number but maybe someone like morgan does.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did alot of stuff to it
took it apart, cleaned it, put back together
everything is done by the book (2f engine manual), i have one spring extra (leftover).
cant figure out where is goes, it was attached to the plate that mounts with the base together, onthe fire wall side.
i tried adjusting the niddle, drilled the plug out first, and now i cant set it right,
i have no idea how lean is too lean,or how reach is too reach.
what it does now is: when cold truck is jorking back and forth, on take off i can feel some power but after i get over 2000rpm i can feel some loss of power, take more gas per miles -- under 10mpg camparing to 13-14 mpg
i thinkg thats it
help me out please
thatnks alot
mike

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just did the same thing with my crappy carb- and left out one spring. Id just take it back apart and figure out where that spring goes. It sounds like you have found the culprit to your woes just go back over it.
As far as leaning it out the manual says start at 1 1/2 full screws out from fully closed i think. Yours may be different but you need to just get a starting point thats on the rich side and work your way a little leaner until you arent getting the power you expect-at that point back it off a touch richer and you should be about as lean as you want it to be without being so rich that its fouling your plugs or causing miserable gas mileage. At that point if you run it for a few tanks of gas- then pull the plugs to see if they look the right color.(tanish-white) any black soot and youre rich.
You may also want to go over your timing while youre at it.
Did you blow out the holes with air or carb cleaner?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just checked my carb papers- the spring is probably either to your power pump or pump return. One should have an arm that goes thru the carb and attaches to the throttle or your fast idle cam or pump and power link.
The one thing to check when you pull it apart again is the little rubber pump cap. When inserting the cap into the hole- the rubber cap sorta rolls up and possibly didnt slide too well into it. It worked but wasnt pumping too well. This could explain your crapping out over 2k. I moistened the rubber cap with carb cleaner and inserted it wet and it seemed to do the trick without rolling up on the edges.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
r u talking about the acceleration pump?
tahts the only one i know about that looks like a pump
and its out of leather in my case

thaks again

·
Registered
340 Posts
accelerator pump

Im not certain about your carb but in the rebuild kit you must have had to replace the rubber hood that pumps fuel from the float bowl. It sounds like that may be rolled up and not sliding within the hole that pumps the fuel. It also sounds like your spring may be the culprit-find where that goes and i bet your problem is solved.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
The guy your looking for is Eric Chandler.....
Eric rebuilds carbs for Burt Toyota in Denver. The best $60 I ever spent on my Cruiser. I think his price is still $60-$75 per rebuild.
Eric will do essentially the same rebuild that the "other" guy does that charges $290.
I thought I knew how to rebuild a carb until Eric got a hold of my and rebuilt it right. Someone told me he might be moving or has already moved to Texas, not sure though.

Here is his e-mail address

[email protected]

Good luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bennett said:
The guy your looking for is Eric Chandler.....
Eric rebuilds carbs for Burt Toyota in Denver. The best $60 I ever spent on my Cruiser. I think his price is still $60-$75 per rebuild.
Eric will do essentially the same rebuild that the "other" guy does that charges $290.
Here is his e-mail address

[email protected]
thnaks for the info
i tried e-mailing him a few days ago and he still didnt relply
is there any other way to get a hold of him
or anyone else who does it?
thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts