Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Very Nice Start. This is going to look Great. Cage work and welds are impressive. What major are you in school? I would guess engineering or something.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Very nice, but how do you afford it as a student?
School and housing are paid for. I have been saving for a while for what I have. Plus I got the jeep at a real bargain for what it is

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Very Nice Start. This is going to look Great. Cage work and welds are impressive. What major are you in school? I would guess engineering or something.
You got it. Mechanical Engineering

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Found some more pictures.

Here is the axle the day I picked it up

70-1U

Drums with left hand lug nuts

Grab handles

I think I used 10 rolls of blue tape in the mockup stages

Attachments

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
axle done

Notice the small lip back towards the grill. This really cleaned up the look

Both fenders

Attachments

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Notice the tube connecting the front bumper to the crossmember. There is one in the middle and one behind each recovery point

Started the frame tie-ins

On to some tech. Picked up some led lights from a trailer supply. Used a couple diodes and a resister to change 2-wire led to 3-wire. Now I have running lights and turn signals.

Thats good for now...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Have a bunch of parts leftover for sale now. PM if interested

Drivers air bag
Steering wheel
Left front fender. Damaged but repairable
Emissions charcoal canister
cruise control module
rear bumper
spare tire (stock)
spare tire carrier with light
air bag computer

Need a Dana 60 front. Would like to find one local but the budget is small right now. It will be rebuilt so shot calipers, rotors, gears, bearings etc is acceptable.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not much of an update but I finished the fenders. Before anyone comments on the color, this is from the same quart as the windshield in the pictures. It darkens when it fully cures

Attachments

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Instead of wiring in a resistor you can also open the flasher and cut one of the connections in there. Works great. (too late now but if something ever happens to it just do a search for TJ LEDS or flasher or something and you'll find an easy write up on it)

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Instead of wiring in a resistor you can also open the flasher and cut one of the connections in there. Works great. (too late now but if something ever happens to it just do a search for TJ LEDS or flasher or something and you'll find an easy write up on it)
I need to do that too. The reason for the resistor is to cut the voltage and dim the LED when the running lights are on. Doing this, the running light gets 8-9volts and the blinker gets the 12v.

Looks great!

EDIT: <squint> I see what you did there :D Nice job on the LEDs
Thanks. I've been following your build. Very nice

·
NERD
8,624 Posts
Thanks. I've been following your build. Very nice
:laughing: Oh yeah, it looks great sitting in the parking lot. Hopefully I'll get it out before Christmas. You should make it a goal to beat me :D

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
:laughing: Oh yeah, it looks great sitting in the parking lot. Hopefully I'll get it out before Christmas. You should make it a goal to beat me :D
Mine just sits in the garage. I haven't even wheeled it yet and I've had it for 4 months. The $$ adds up really fast. Christmas is a good goal but it's not realistic for me. I'm hoping to finish by next summer.

Looks like all the trucks with Dana 60's go to die in the northeast. I can't seem to find a dana 60 local for less than $1200

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
had a few pm's about the blinker wiring. here is basically what I did. T think the resistor was in the 300 range..? I can't remember but I made it a 33% voltage drop
Great little trick for the lights!

what bender did you use for the cage work?

21 - 40 of 280 Posts