Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting and 85 EFI into my 83 and have a few ?? I pulled the entire harness from the 83 and I am using the 85 because most of the plugs match up but some don't. The cluster plugs don't so first question is will an 85 cluster mount up to the 83 dash mounts with just a littlel mod? Second is do I need to run a check engine light? Third is what dash light or dummy lights do I need to run that are nessasary for the EFI to run. Forth ? is Do I need the nuetral safety switch? A buddy has an 85 runner with EFI and does not have one. All I am wanting to run is the heater which is good as far as matching plugs. the plugs on the steering column pluged right up but the ignition did not. That is no problem either. Has anyone put an earlier model cluster into the late model dash?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
man, this is easier than you are making it.
pretty much all the wires should be close to matching up.
what i did was trace and mark each wire on each harness to see where they went to, then just sliced them together. the check light and charge lights are a loop, get a little two prong lamp and stick it in the stock lamp holes. the ignition is easy as well, if you like i can get another pic or draw a better picture for you. and you do not need the clutch cancel switch, but you wire that out of the loop by jumping the plug that would normally plug into the clutch pedal. the dashes wont interchange without mucho work.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to tell you, It is much harder for me as I am color blind and wires will fawk me up especially when they are all in a big ass group such as a harness. The cluster was just a thought. The ignition is not a problem as there is only 6 wires. This harness harness came from an automatic with overdrive, AC and everthing you can think of so there is alot more wires to look at than usual which makes it that much harder for me. Even with reading the shematics from the FSM for the 85 and the Haynes for my 83 is really useless for me because it is all color coded. Not much good to me in that aspect. Everytime I sit down and try to figure this out I get pissed because of the color. Here is an example. Wife come here and tell me what color this is, she goes back in the house, 5 min later, wife, come here and tell what color this is. Very frustrating:mad: Now do you understand more of what I am dealing with? I will say that if I lay two colors beside each other I can tell if they match but the cluster wires don't match, only a few match from what I can tell. So as far as making it harder than what it is, It is harder for me because of those reasons. :(

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you can work from the plug back you could try a "toner". They use them in computer networking installs. You connect a transmitter to a wire and use a probe to follow the wire the transmitter is on. The probe does not require electrical connection, it's like a radio transmitter. You could use that to ID the wires and label them. Should be able to get one for under $100. IIRC Lowes and Home Depot carry them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is an option but I am not willing to pay that much for something that I will not get any use out of. I can get help to do it and I will but like everything else I like to do things myself but I am unable when it comes to wires and colors.

·
Registered
671 Posts
what about the motor? is it as simple as swapping intakes?
i only ask cuz i found an 83 last week and its being delivered next weekend... im still wading through the FAQ and about a dozen searches.
man i feel for you. being color blind must make that a huge pain...:beer:
peace
Jw

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
alright, i am glad i am not color blind since i get all crosseyed if i have to deal with wires for too long,
here is the way to do the dash then, just plug in the plug to the back of the cluster, then just follow the little lead to the light and mark it with tape or something, then just match them that way.
it is more time but works fine, that is what i did for the most part. in fact the tape is still on my wires :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rebel said:
what about the motor? is it as simple as swapping intakes?
i only ask cuz i found an 83 last week and its being delivered next weekend... im still wading through the FAQ and about a dozen searches.
man i feel for you. being color blind must make that a huge pain...:beer:
peace
Jw
As long as you have the head with 20 holes on the intake side you will be fine and will bolt right up. You will have to take and relocate the knock sensor. And if you don't have the right head you will have drill and tap a few holes or use a lower intake from an 82 or 83 celica. The whole EFI thing is easy to do if you can see colors for the harness. I chose to replace the whole harness in my 83 with the 85. If only I could see fawkin colors I would be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts