Longfields
5 spd.
Dual cases w/4.7
35's

The bad:
20r w/ Webber carb
lots of oil leaks

Here's some quick poser shots.

It has a little rust, but not bad for a 28 year old Toyota. Already placed an order for a front end reseal kit, gussets, upgraded studs and a t-case mount/skid.

Plans are to reseal everything first then bob the bed and build some bumpers and a cage.

I know there is no tech yet. Please be patient! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Picked up a 1980 long bed this weekend.

The good:
4" Rancho lift
Crossover steering
5.29's (lockright front, welded rear)
Longfields
5 spd.
Dual cases w/4.7
35's

The bad:
20r w/ Webber carb
lots of oil leaks

Here's some quick poser shots.

It has a little rust, but not bad for a 28 year old Toyota. Already placed an order for a front end reseal kit, gussets, upgraded studs and a t-case mount/skid.

Plans are to reseal everything first then bob the bed and build some bumpers and a cage.

I know there is no tech yet. Please be patient! :flipoff2:
\

Thats a nice buy there. Seems like its got some goods, just add some sliders and bumpers, maybe some seals and gaskets here and there and you should be golden. Damn it all these nice 1st gens give me motivation to finish my 83. Goodluck with your truck

Sean

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got all my ducks in a row and decided to tear into the front axle on my Toyota to fix the leaky seals and add some armor.

Spent an hour last night steam cleaning as much of the crap as I could get off the axle and engine. Got there this morning to find that the power was out. I should have taken this as a sign of things to come. Once the power came back I got to work. Only to find this:

These were supposed to be Longfield's according to the PO. :mad: They are an aftermarket birf but they aint Longs.

Luckily it didn't hurt the inside of the knuckle too bad.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So after getting frustrated I settled down and got to work.
Added a set of knuckle gussets (Welds look like crap!),

and some ring gear protection.

Have to go back tomarrow and finish removing the broken stud from the knuckle and reassemble everything.

Monday I get to order a set of Longs. :rolleyes:

Then I get to do it all over again on the driver side. :bounce:

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yea, next time someone asks if they need to put bump stop drop brackets on, here's a fine example of what happens if you don't.

Custom oil pan! (anyone have a spare 20r pan they don't need?)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I have a custom oil pan like that on my truck too! As long as it is holding oil and the pick up tube is picking up oil it will be fine. Mine has been that way for years.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
bbagwell said:
I have a custom oil pan like that on my truck too! As long as it is holding oil and the pick up tube is picking up oil it will be fine. Mine has been that way for years.
I'm not really worried about it.

Trucks look good. First post is confustion. U say rancho is good and 20r with better is bad.. I think those two need reverse statements. Otherwise lookin good!
The Rancho lift works for now (Alcan in here in Junction so they'll get the nod for the next set of springs), the 20r is just tired.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It gets better!

<dramatic pause><que sad violin music>

Went in today to remove the broken stud from the knuckle only to find two of the 4 holes are stripped. Guess I need to find a right side knuckle as well (I will not attempt to repair the threads as the holes in question are for the steering studs and the last thing I will ever do is run a bandaded steering setup).

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Looks to me like buying this truck was a great idea. Sure there are allot of things to undo, but nothing compared to what I've been dealing with on my project. I think you should ditch the brush guard asap. Keep us updated, this looks like a great project.
Such is life. :rolleyes: I can't believe you don't like the :grinpimp: brush guard. I was thinking of building some 3" rock sliders and rear bumper to match. :D

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
with the brush guard, I guess whatever you like is the way to go. I was just stating my opinion. Although, I am unsure if you are being sarcastic about 3 inch sliders and rear bumper or not.. either way, I still dig the truck.
Yea, I was being sarcastic. I'm planning to build a set of bumpers and sliders for it, but the way things are going it'll be a few months.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts