Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The customer chose the dia p/t . We didnt like the idea at first now that its done we think it looks cool (plus no grinding)!What do you think?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Dont get me wrong, I love diamond plating but that looks a little bogus.
Why "bogus"? I can take it, just curious, I like comments, good or bad. Im not a enginer but been welding a while and my guess is no stronger. I myself would slim it down alittle but thats the look customer was after! We didnt weigh it but it didnt feel heaver than others we have built.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The workmanship looks great, and maybe it wouldnt bother me as much if it was black.

It just looks too big, like it sticks out too far, the aproach angle looks like a box car and it looks really heavy. It seems like a very large flat surface across the front, just too boxy, looks too big for the vehicle.

Maybe it wouldnt look like that in person or from agreater distance, the photos are close up and that may be making it look bigger than it is.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Isn't tread plate significantly heavier without added strength, compared to smooth plate of the same thickness?

That aspect bugs me.
I have done alot of research on diamond plating ( mostly Aluminum) but diamond plating is heavier than flat stock of the same guage. The flat surface is of the same guage and all of the area that is made up of diamonds is apx. 1/16" thicker, therefore heavier.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tires are called "Fierce MTs" Nice tire real quite, less than 200 bucks each for 35x12.5x17

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I just hunted down the data about the weight on that material.

Flat steel plate (hot roll, cold roll - it doesn't matter), 1/8" thick, is 5.1 pounds per square foot.

1/8" diamond tread plate is 6.16 pounds per square foot.

The raised pattern increases the total weight by 20% without adding any strength.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just hunted down the data about the weight on that material.

Flat steel plate (hot roll, cold roll - it doesn't matter), 1/8" thick, is 5.1 pounds per square foot.

1/8" diamond tread plate is 6.16 pounds per square foot.

The raised pattern increases the total weight by 20% without adding any strength.
Good to know, thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts