Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Home-brew front axle and front 3-link build

After my stock pile of spare stock birfields ran out i decided it was time to order some longs. I figured i'd do it right the first time and order a set of custom length inners and build a housing to go with them.

The wms to wms will be 59.5", one inch wider then the rear

here is the list of materials i ordered from speedymetals.com

Product Quantity Length Sub Total:
1-1/4" {A} Rd Stressproof (or equivalent) Turned, Ground & Polished
1 72" $58.55

3-1/4" {A} Rd 6061-T6511 Aluminum, Extruded-12"
1 12" $46.77

2-3/4" OD {A} x 2.250" ID {B} x .250" Wall {C} DOM Steel Tube-48"
1 48" $60.55

3-1/4" OD {A} x 2.750" ID {B} x .250" Wall {C} DOM Steel Tube-48"
1 48" $78.83

Subtotal: $244.70
Shipping (UPS Ground): $49.18
Tax: $0.00
Total: $293.88

Then add $200 for machine work which means so far I've got just under $500 into the custom length housing. Still cheaper then all the other fabbed housings out there, maybe not as nice but i can make more for less

So here is what i am starting with

I used a pipe cutter to get the knuckle balls off the old housing

One more

I'll post some more pictures tonight

·
Registered
148 Posts
I hate to say it, but RuffStuff has this housing for $480+shipping, you just need to rob the knuckle balls off your housing, or wait for them to offer balls.

That said, looks like yours will be built right. Keep up the good work!

edit: Got a phone call in the middle of posting, SSIC got to it before me:flipoff2:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought about the ruffstuff axle, Im my opinion you still need the alignment bar to weld the knuckle balls on straight. I really wanted to use their HD knuckle balls though, too bad they aren't out yet.

Plus I may sell this axle down the road and build a set of matching axles 63" wms to wms

I already have geared and locked toyota 3rds other wise i would have went with the 9" or landcruiser 9.5". I also have a bunch of toyota housings to cut up and steal parts off of.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't get a whole lot done today, Mostly just alot of staring, thinking, and measuring

the tubes are in

The new tube was originally 2.75" OD but i had it turned down just enough to fit inside the 3.25" x .250" tube. The inside of the factory housing is still just a little bit smaller, so ground down the factory welds and split the seams a little.

I plan to gusset the tubes inside the housing sort of how the diamonds are.

I havn't decided if i want to sleeve the whole long side with the 3.25" tube yet (way overkill) or just enough to get the knuckle balls on.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I forgot my camera today but i got some cell phone pics, better then nothing i guess.

I started making the internal gussets

and i got the outer sleeves cut. the length will still need some fine tuning, I may end up trimming some more off

I'm going to take the outer sleeves back to the machine shop and have the knuckle balls pressed in. Then i'll make some final adjustments to the length and set the caster. After that it should be time to start welding everything up.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
ummm the Ruff Stuff axle is under $500

I hate to say it, but RuffStuff has this housing for $480+shipping, you just need to rob the knuckle balls off your housing, or wait for them to offer balls.

Why buy something that you can build yourself and then have the satisfaction of having done it yourself? Buying "pre-fabbed" parts is for people that cant do it themselves:flipoff2:

·
Registered
8,807 Posts
Very cool man, looks great. What gears are you using, and what diff/locker?

Are you going to do the same thing or something similar to that other axle in the last pic?

Oh, and shipping to 97219 :smokin:

1 - 20 of 185 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.