Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm mike. I normally drive a rubicon but I picked up a 79 cj7 with a 350. Here is where my dumb questions begin. It has a dana 300 transfer case. Can I put the twin sticks on there or does it have to be a special model? 2nd dumb question. I was driving it home on an expressway and the steering feels loose, I was going to replace the steering box, should I upgrade? I have 36" tires on it, also included with my extra parts for the jeep, I found a sway bar, I went to compare it to my sway bar on the jeep to see if it fit, found out that was my swaybar. I was going to mount it back in but I'm missing a mount for the frame. Does anyone know where I can get the mount to put the swaybar back on, or should I just rumage the bone yard. I don't want to write a novel so that is enough of my dumb questions for now.

Magoo

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Although the steering boxes are a problem on those models. I would first check the caster. Most people lift CJ's by installing taller shackles up front and forget to shim the diff back for proper caster.
I also believe your transfercase should be a Dana 20. they didn't start using the 300 until 1980. However, you never know with Jeep. They're several articles on twin stick conversions, but you'll have to pony up 20 bucks for a red star to use the search function.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how can you tell which transfer case it is? There were things that were swapped out. the body on it is from a 1986, the frame is a 79, the motor is a crate 350, the vin has f for built in toledo with a 3spd but I have a 4 speed in there. So I'm playing catch up on what I have on this thing. it runs great, except the guy that had it must enjoy waking up his neighbors, he has headers, 1/2 pips and cherry bomb glass packs. On more thing to fix :mad3:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Before you go with a steering box because you have sloppy steering check all the steering linkage for play first. Do that by having someone turn the wheel back and forth slightly while you look at the joints for slop.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did that and it seems fine when the engine is running and the power steering is working, when the car is off I can turn the wheel back and forth a little and nothing is comming from the tires, and it kind of feels like it is free spinning.

Mike.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
magoo79 said:
I did that and it seems fine when the engine is running and the power steering is working, when the car is off I can turn the wheel back and forth a little and nothing is comming from the tires, and it kind of feels like it is free spinning.

Mike.

heh sounds like my 78 f150 box, i can move it a good 4". but i guess 350k miles would to that to me aswell. what you need to check is the joints in the shaft from the cab to the box, mine went bad in the 78, they are lil u-joints and tend to wear out.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at the shaft. the ujoints feel tight but where the shaft comes into the engine deparment throught the fire wall looks like it should have a bearing or something to float the shaft. it has play comming through the tube. Is there supposed to be a bearing? Also, I have been searching the internet looking for the sway bar mounts that bolt onto the frame. I checked some sites for restoring jeeps and I don't see it there, I'm also looking for the the levers the dashboard knob cables attach to. some of mine are a little worn and was hoping to replace them.

Thanks,
Mike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts