Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some people have been asking, and I'm starting to get closer to finished so I thought I would finally started a build thread....here are the specs...

1990 Jeep YJ tub...
1995 Mustang Ford 302 HO
NP-435
Np-205
Unimog 404's
16.5 Hummer rims
114 inch wheel base
custom fourlink rear threelink front with panhard
1 1/4 SMC air cylinders with lockouts for the lockers
42 iroks (would go bigger, but I dont want breaky)
and all parts fabbed by yours truely...
I'm sitting about 6500 in as we speak...but looking to be done somewhere around 9000-10000

some pics
Could have flexed more, but i ran out of crane

Notice the front buckets

The rear four link

MORE TO COME!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In some places yea...gussets and what not....but for the most part, all that is very over built due to the torque being applied...I'll tease ya with one more...
Rear axle truss...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So also picked up some drivelines this weekend...Pulled them off of a late model bronc. The rear had flanges on both ends, but my 205 only needs the regular 1350 joint...Therefore I just removed the flange on one end and will run the CV ass backwards...The front accually might be the exact length needed, and it will use the flange from the rear...Also, I pulled the flange yokes off the transfer case and axle so that way when I weld them to my pinion conversion everything will be perfectly straight and true just as the stock bronco...Not bad for 75 bucks huh???

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ford KTM: How long will your rear driveshaft be? Is the transfer case in near original position?

I am considering a similar axle setup for the CJ-7 (narrowed 404 axles) but I am wondering how the long pinions can be fitted there without sacrificing the rear driveshaft too much...

Edit: Noticed that the WB was 114. My bad :(

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really am not sure about the transfer case question...I just fabbed everything where I wanted it and went from there..My driveline will end up being about 24 inches long...most of the strech tho comes from moving the front end...the rear is only moved back say 3-4 inches....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ford KTM: Thanks for the details. It is quite hard to determine the rear strech from the attached pics, so thanks for information on that too!

I think I could get away with the long pinion nose and end up with a similar driveline lenght (22-24inches) by moving the axle a little backwards.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
geberhard said:
fawk yeah!!! From the other thread, leaving the mog stock pinions on??
Yea leaving the pinions the stock length and just doing the pinion conversion myself....Saving money anywhere possible....Should come out clean and pretty:smokin: ....

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Got my wheels from 6x6...They came out just ok...They didn't deburr any of the inside of them, and the fit REALLY tight over the lugs. I wouldn't have bought from them if I would have seen the USA6x6 thread earlier, but what r you gonna do????:rolleyes:

Another of the rear truss...forgot some slag....:shaking:

The part in the center is where my limiting strap will go...

For my shocks, in the rear, I was thinking of running them with the /\ pattern...Is this best??What do you all think??

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, Im running a 435-205 all stock, and was wondering how low the rest of you guys were. I'll be running around 101:1 with 42's...Is that gonna be low enough???

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
Ford_KTM said:
Also, Im running a 435-205 all stock, and was wondering how low the rest of you guys were. I'll be running around 101:1 with 42's...Is that gonna be low enough???
I have a th350 with 203/205 doubler and 48's. I use single low most of the time, I would think you would be fine with the granny gear. Switching to 42's soon, probably won't need doubler then.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Ford_KTM said:
I'll be running around 101:1 with 42's...Is that gonna be low enough???
IMHO No. I ran a TF727 (2.45), 203 (2.0)/D300(2.63) doubler w/ 4.89s in the axles. High stall converter (figured 2:1 for that) to get a 126:1 and that worked awesome. I know the stick-shifters need a little more since youdon't have the slip of the Torque Converter...so I'd say try and go a little deeper ~ possibly a doubler

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well some quick updates...
I finished making up the final parts of my pinion conversions and drivelines. All now I have to do is make the flange for the rear of the 205 and it will be done.

Secondly, I came up with a way to mount a 78 ford steering box to the outside of the frame rail. Its kinda trick hope y'all like it. I'll try to get some pics up asap. Drilled and tapped for hydro assist also...PS for these boxes its some work..

Lastly, I decided to go with the ford steering column and after a little work it went in pretty easy.

Next, will be shocks...Right now im undesided...Thinking 9000's, but i want something cheap with a lot of travel...Suggestions PLZ....My 42 iroks should be on the way shortly also...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts