Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has bbeen many threads on this topic, I've been searching Pirate for the last hour, saving a bunch of threads into my "Favorites" on internet.
Enough with the BS... here are my questions...

I want to convert a front dana 60 (low pinion) into rear steer for the back of my k5. my question is, will the dana 60 hold up to a 5500LBS (approx) k5? How much will it cost to recenter the axle so it lines up with my ford 205? Will I have to get custom axle shafts made to work with the centered pinion? Will anything else have to be custom made to work? how much would it cost to get it set-up (excluding the cost of a 1000$ full hydro) if the price started at 1000 for a stock front dana 60?

Most of these questions weren't answered in the threads I read. There will be most q's as I read more threads. Thanks

future specs of the k5:
454 with .060" overbore, th-400 with reverse manual valve body, gmnp203/ford205 (ORD custom doubler) front axle: ford hi pinion dana 60. full cage, 56" and 63" springs, etc. if I need to suply more info that is needed involving rear steer, tell me.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
if you run rear steer in a 5500 pound blazer and you are gonna add a 454, then some things I recommend

get the best gears you can afford cheap ring and pinions will break

get at the very least some chromoly axles, and ctm or better u-joints if you plan on wheeling it

yes you will need custom axle shafts
and custom tubes
and lots of other custom parts
if you want the rear axle to be centered

here is another option:

get a transfercase that has an offset rear output such as a landrover or the new landcruiser case offered from advanced adaptors, then figure out how to run it up side down so you don't need to change the front or rear axle at all and can have both driveshafts run down the driver's side

then you could run a low pinion chevy 60 in the rear, and the high pinion ford in the front.

you'll break stock axles if you play hard, but they will be replacable for a while until you can afford some chromoly replacements in stock sizes.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"get the best gears you can afford cheap ring and pinions will break

get at the very least some chromoly axles, and ctm or better u-joints if you plan on wheeling it

yes you will need custom axle shafts
and custom tubes
and lots of other custom parts
if you want the rear axle to be centered"

Yeah I plan on getting the best gears I can find when I am at that point. Who makes makes chromoly axles? I am planning on running the best u-joints I can find, as long as they arent priced as gold.

Where can I get the custom axle shafts and other parts?
I'm pretty stuck on the ford np205, so I do plan on recentering it.

Yeah I have looked at rockwells, but parts for them are very expensive, and they are heavy.

Also, is it possible it use a cutting brake combined with rear steer?

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
yes you can use cutting brakes with rear steer

look into the transfercase from a 1995 to 2001 range rover they have front and rear driver's side out put, I don't know how strong they are, but I would wager it's cheaper to adapt to it than to build custom axles, plus then you won't need custom shafts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont really like the idea of using the land rover transfercase because the availibility of parts, compared to a ford 205, and I doubt it will be as strong as the 205.
fawk :confused:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
the rover tcase is an lt230.
very strong, 3.0/1 FACTORY reduction not a retarded 2/1.
i have seen these hold up just fine in 5k+ rigs with 454s in them.
strong as a 205? i don't know, but i do know they are not weak, and cost less than 1k$ for a unit. not hard to find, just because it is not in the us, does not make it hard to find....there are plenty of us sources for these import parts.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Does his rear driveshaft really have to line up?

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
NO...not perfectly. It prolly wouldn't like the freeway though with a stock offset front axle and a centered output at the transfercase!

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
the lt-230 is passenger side drop, I don't know what is in the 95 to 01 range rovers, but I don't think it's an lt-230. as for being as strong as a 205, I don't know that either, but it may be.

Wolf, I don't know of a u-joint stronger than the ctm's but I'm not saying there isn't one, so you can roll your eyes out and look for some, thanks :flipoff2:

What I can see is that this guy's worried about cost, and swapping in a rear steer axle that will hold up to big block power and has a centered diff aint gonna be cheap. I would vote for this option

get 14 bolt
put inner axle seals in it
get some end forgings and knuckles
build custom inner axle shafts (maybe superior will cut them for you)
install ctm's
use stock stubs and stuff from the 60-hubs

sell the 60 housing
the 14 bolt is stronger than the 60, only down fall is the lower pinion and g.c., but with rear steer hopefully you can steer around those tall rocks :D

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so use a 14bff housing and convert it for the rear steering, get custom shafts built by superior, use stock dana 60 hubs, get some end forgings and knuckles-would dedenbear knuckles work? and thats all I would need to do to match the ford 205? has anyone done this before? Im not the best at fabrication, etc. so I don't want to get into a project, and not have anyone to ask exactly what i could do...
aaah... owning a 4x4...nothing is simple :( :eek:

I would like to use the dana 60 though because of the lower gears, the 14bff stops at 5.13, when the dana axles go higher.

I dont know. help me guys! :)

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
I bet a good CV shaft could take the compound angle if it's not too crazy, just might wear out fast and need new joints.

·
Registered
471 Posts
it isn't that much money to just do it right and recenter the rear 60. Superior axle makes custom length axles I believe or CTM, but be prepared to spend $2000+ on shafts and u-joints.

Don

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
no, I don't know of anyone who had done the rear steer 14 bolt, so you would be learning things. hmmm

can I ask, are you gonna drive this on the street?

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I think Pyro, on here did a rear steer 14 bolt. Might try a search. I don't know how hard it would be to put inner axle seals in a rear end :confused: If it's what I think than it would be cheaper and simpler to just re-tube one side of your front axle and cut down the other side!

·
Registered
471 Posts
the wacky willy's from top truck challenge last year had a rear steer 14bolt. I would just put a Dana 70 in, it has a big ring and pinion and uses all the same gears as the 60.

Don

·
thhhpptthh!
46,721 Posts
personally, from the questions you are asking, i think you are getting in waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy over your head.

sell it, buy a ricer.

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
Man looks like a rockwell is the best (cheepest) way to go

it is easy to center easy to rear steer

break kits on ebay cheep

the weight is only 150 lbs diffrent than a 60

You can do it your self to no machine shop need to build custom stuff

1 - 20 of 64 Posts