Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are selling the motorhome and going to a 5th wheel. So, obviously I need to install a hitch into my 3500 dually. I also want to be able to pull a gooseneck trailer, so I need an interchangeable model.

I'm going to be pulling my Jeep behind the 5th wheel in a RV double configuration. Since I'll be pulling the double, I'll be maxing out close to the 23,000 pound rating of the truck. I know the laws in Michigan about weights, lengths, etc. That's not what this question is about. Rather, my question is recommendations on brands and any special features I should be shopping for.

Any experiences with good, bad etc?

Another potential dumb question; I've driven trucks with gooseneck trailers but never a 5th wheel. Any real difference in handling?

·
Insurance poor
10,047 Posts
Another potential dumb question; I've driven trucks with gooseneck trailers but never a 5th wheel. Any real difference in handling?
They basically feel the same, but a 5th wheel is 10x faster and easier to hook up.

I use the B&W turnover ball with 5th wheel companion. I like the setup and versatility, but for the total price, there are plenty of better alternatives. The only reason I have that setup is because I installed the gooseneck 12 years ago and never intended on buying a 5th wheel. Then, I ended up buying a 5th wheel last year, so I got the companion to match what I had. :homer:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a B&W turnoverball and Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel connection in Aluminum. I tow my fifth wheel and boat behind it totaling @16,000 lbs. I used a Companion hitch for years but it was so damn heavy to take in and out of the truck I found myself leaving it in all the time and taking my trailer to pickup stuff that would normally fit in the truck. Only used the Anderson on 1 600mile round trip last month so far and I really like it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a B&W turn over and a reese goose neck pin box. It's an amazing combo.

Keep in mind Reese is the only lepper a proved goose neck set up

·
Registered
908 Posts
Tow GN, 5er, and haul a slide-in. B&W all the way.

Disagree with 5ers hooking up faster but that might be from differences in experience.

5er is more stable. Less rock and roll because those movements occur on different pivots and with a shorter tongue vs a GN where it all just pivots around one ball and with a longer tongue. All the motion in a 5er takes 3 pins (1-front to back, 2-side to side, 3-in a turn). A GN takes one ball. A 5er has pivot stops on all but the kingpin. A GN has none.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I may have fucked up. I bought the B&W turnover ball gooseneck and companion 5th wheel hitch. The gooseneck hitch portion is rated at 30,000 pounds. However, the Companion 5th wheel hitch is only rated at 20,000 pounds. B&W tells me too bad, that's the best they can offer for my truck. (2017 GMC 3500 Dually)

Towing my 5th wheel and jeep/aluminum trailer behind will be pushing over the 20,000 pound limit. Since I already have the turnover ball gooseneck, any suggestions on the best way to go?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Anderson Ultimate is probably the least expensive option to get you where you want to be. As others have stated, it's extremely lightweight and user friendly, especially when compared to the B&W companion. Don't know the RV market where you live, but around here you could probably sell the B&W companion for a significant offset of the cost of the Anderson.

I went with the replacement pin box from Reece, simply because I didn't want to have to deal with anything in the bed of my truck, no matter how light or easy to handle to may be. In addition, the Goosebox has an integrated air bag and shocks to really dial in a nice smooth ride.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed. I tried to pry the failure point out of them but no go. I was going to ask them what their designed safety factor is but I figured they wouldn't tell me. Might try that at a later date.

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Convert gooseneck to kingpin.

Install Holland mini 5th wheel hitch.

·
Registered
499 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
My Anderson arrived yesterday. I'm grabbing my toy hauler on Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Looks like I may have fucked up. I bought the B&W turnover ball gooseneck and companion 5th wheel hitch. The gooseneck hitch portion is rated at 30,000 pounds. However, the Companion 5th wheel hitch is only rated at 20,000 pounds. B&W tells me too bad, that's the best they can offer for my truck. (2017 GMC 3500 Dually)

Towing my 5th wheel and jeep/aluminum trailer behind will be pushing over the 20,000 pound limit. Since I already have the turnover ball gooseneck, any suggestions on the best way to go?
Did your truck not come with the gooseneck "prep" package? I've got a '17 Silverado and thought it was just a few holes in the bed. I was pleasantly surprised when I got home it was actually everything but the gooseneck ball and safety chain hooks. Almost all the duallys I looked at had it except a few.

You can also get a 5th wheel plate that uses the same hitch so you can use either.

I know the links I posted one is a reese and the other is a Curt but that's just to show what they look like. It's definitely not the cheapest way to go but maybe with some googling you can find that stuff cheaper somewhere. I think Curt makes the factory hitch but couldn't find any info on quick searching to confirm it.

Reese Elite Under-Bed Gooseneck Hitch - Elite Series Under Bed Goose Neck Trailer Hitches by Reese

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Whee...9E76IsVDIrDeH7zNHuLKJAHtDKDlXZ3kaAjLAEALw_wcB

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did your truck not come with the gooseneck "prep" package? I've got a '17 Silverado and thought it was just a few holes in the bed. I was pleasantly surprised when I got home it was actually everything but the gooseneck ball and safety chain hooks. Almost all the duallys I looked at had it except a few.

You can also get a 5th wheel plate that uses the same hitch so you can use either.

I know the links I posted one is a reese and the other is a Curt but that's just to show what they look like. It's definitely not the cheapest way to go but maybe with some googling you can find that stuff cheaper somewhere. I think Curt makes the factory hitch but couldn't find any info on quick searching to confirm it.

Reese Elite Under-Bed Gooseneck Hitch - Elite Series Under Bed Goose Neck Trailer Hitches by Reese

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Whee...9E76IsVDIrDeH7zNHuLKJAHtDKDlXZ3kaAjLAEALw_wcB
No, mine did not come with the prep package. I was trying to buy one of the first trucks that came out with the bigger Duramax engine and they were really hard to find. Only a few of the dealers in our area even had them. Over the course of a week, I literally had 4 trucks sold out from underneath me, even to the point that the dealership was on their way to pick up a truck for me and the other dealer sold it out from under them. It seemed that regardless of Chevy or GMC, they were all fully loaded with 2 exceptions. Sunroof and gooseneck/5th wheel prep. Some had them, others didn't and they seemed to go hand in hand. At the time I wasn't all that worried about it because we still had our motorhome and I didn't think we would be switching to a 5th wheel for a year. Then the stars aligned, I found a buyer and the perfect 5th wheel for us so our timeline moved up quickly.

Based on here at PBB and other resources, the preferred choice seemed to be the B&W turnover ball gooseneck. When I was researching it, the rating for it was 30,000 pounds. Awesome! Meets my needs! So I bought it and the companion 5th wheel hitch for my truck. The dumb part on my end is that I didn't even consider that the companion hitch (listed as for my truck) would be rated below the gooseneck package AND the rating of my truck. :shaking:

Now we have bought a Mobile Suites 5th wheel. They are about the heaviest 5er on the market, and with the plans of towing my Jeep behind, I now find myself with a sub rated 5th wheel hitch.

Lesson learned. :(

It looks to me like the perfect solution is to leave the B&W gooseneck hitch installed and go with the Anderson 5th wheel hitch.

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
So, anybody that complains about how heavy a 5th is had been doing it wrong. You're supposed to pull the pins and leave it hooked to the trailer. Hit your electric trailer jacks and you have a clear bed again.

I honestly don't know anyone who leaves their hitch in unless they're using it every weekend.

I would guess the b&w is only rated at 20k because that's what most King pins are. It's only been the last year or two I've seen any 5th hitches rated over 20, while the goose is always 30+ with a b&w. My buddy pulls his 38' 18000 lb toy hauler with a Curt rated at 15. He hasn't killed any nuns yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So, anybody that complains about how heavy a 5th is had been doing it wrong. You're supposed to pull the pins and leave it hooked to the trailer. Hit your electric trailer jacks and you have a clear bed again.

I honestly don't know anyone who leaves their hitch in unless they're using it every weekend.
Good luck doing that with the Companion - it's a 2"+ square shank that sits 6" or so below the bed floor. Long way to crank the jacks up on the 5er. Normal rail mounted hitch- sure thing but not the Companion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts