Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 1057 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Josh40601's D-Ranged build

Although my name is changed, I will continue to update this thread. Refer to the end for the most up to date. I'll do a quick rundown for those that don't like to read a bunch of shit...

When i bought it, it was May 2008. It was bone stock and i bought it from the original owner. It had around 120k on the ticker, and for being 14 years old, that was pretty good. The truck was in great shape, other than it needing a throwout bearing. I never took pictures from when it didn't have aftermarket wheels, but it had 15" deer hoofs. 1st day i bought it, i installed new wheels.

then I put a small lift on it and a set of 33s

Then I got the fantastic idea to try my hand at suspension work when i had no fucking clue what i was doing and tried to install a 44TTB from a 93 Bronco into the truck. I also installed a 9". Here is the truck after i "finished" the D44TTB and 9" Swap and added 35's on some cheap polished aluminum centerlines.

* Side note, the Dana 44TTB does not just "bolt in". Refer to the bajillion threads on DezertRangers in regards to swapping a D44TTB into your truck.

So after driving this unsafe contraption a whopping 150 miles in a year and a half, i decided to have someone who knew what they were doing install a straight axle in it. Went with a 44 high pinion from a 79 bronco. using custom radius arms and coilovers.

I don't like the 93-97 front end so I changed it.

I put on some ginormous flares to keep the gentlemen with a badge off my tail

* Notice the lack of flex... This is likely due to the way too stiff springs for rock crawling.

Then Maaco painted it and I put a winch bumper from RLC Welding

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Then i took it to Moab

Then i put a DD Machine doubler, 37's, new wheels, new headlights, and some more body damage on the old gal

Then I took it to the Rubicon...

And I broke all kinds of shit.

Then I fixed it, and moved to Ky

Then I sold my 37s and dropped to 33s and BGLT rims

Then I said fuck it, and gutted it

So I put a new cab and bed on it for the 4 doors

·
Registered
37 Posts
Out of curiosity was the full width ttb a bolt in swap? I'm doubting it but it would be kinda cool if it was.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Then RangerSVT out of western Kentucky dropped in an explorer v8, auto trans, and a 205

then I took it to 5BrosFabrication in Knoxvegas for some fab work. He put an interior cage, belly skid, engine cage, and new radius arms

and now it is in the body shop getting all all the ugly fixed...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Out of curiosity do you plan to drive this thing anywhere other than the mall :flipoff2:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Out of curiosity do you plan to drive this thing anywhere other than the mall :flipoff2:
than the mall hahahah.. whats up with ppl and saying that... my brother gives me shit for my truck. but man its a nation wide thing haha

·
Registered
310 Posts
anymore pics of how fawking far out your wheels were out of the wheel wells? lol

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
are you doing the sas or is someone else doing it?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
All the above posts I would delete, but I can't. So I just have to keep updating from the posts I made years ago.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I've got 200/250 coils on my 2.5" x 14" Kings and it seems pretty good for trail/crawling. If your getting into the go fast stuff you'd want the stiffer rates.

I have my rear shocks mounted on top of the spring plates, had to make a bed cage of sorts to accommodate the extra length.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got the pictures of my Ballistic Fabrication parts. A big thanks goes out to Dave for helping me out with the order. I got the D44 cover, the Ballistic 3.0 joints and the adjustable tracbar mount.

Here is the front axle set under the truck. This was taken a little too soon, as we set the ride height about 20 minutes later. It will be about 2" lower. The rear will be setup somewhat like a prerunner, with the rear shackle flipped and we are going with Bilstein 18" 2.0 smooth body shocks for the rear. I will have to have the springs re-arched because flipping the shackle is going to lower the truck, but the travel this thing will have will be stupid. I will be able to drive fast to the rocks, unlike most of the Jeeps and Yota's out there :p

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went out to the shop this weekend and got a good amount of work completed. The top tubes for the arms are mocked up, and almost ready to be welded on for good, but we needed to square the front end before we could go any further. Looks like i will be getting to get my hands dirty on this stuff too! Keith is letting me work right beside him throughout the whole conversion, and a lot of the stuff we do as a team. I removed the old shocks off the rear and re-welded the shock mounts on. I moved them higher up on the axle to keep from being smashed by the rocks. The Detroit locker is now set in the 3rd member and ready to go back in, and the Ballistic Joints are tacked up to the frame.

The mount and Ballistic joint all tacked up

Here is a look at one of the top tubes. Notice the bend angles. Plenty of room to turn the tires, plenty of room for upward and downward travel. Notice that the rockslider is in the way. They are being cut off and remade later.

The locker ready to go back in.

Here is D sitting on the ground. The front have jackstands, but the this is about as close to ride height as we can get right now.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did get some work done this weekend on it. Found out i had 28 spline axles instead of 31's so i am trying to find a set. The arms are now welded into place and we will begin plating everything this week. I plan on going out there tonight so i will snag some photos.

I also picked up a 96 Exploder V8 AWD this weekend. I will use this truck as a DD until D's motor blows, then take everything from the Exploder and put it in the truck. I plan on taking the dash, center console, engine, trans, ECU and anything else i can use from the ploder.

1 - 20 of 1057 Posts