Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 97 Dakota 4X4. Currently running 33" BFG AT's w/Rancho 3" lift. I want to run coil-overs with a 3 or 5-link setup, holding onto a Dynatrac 44 axle. My question is whether or not I will be able to keep the front track width close to stock, or if I will need to considerably widen the track width. My goal is to run 33's with a track width almost identical to the stock rear axle (which was slightly wider than the front IFS). Also, from the guys that have done it... what are the benefits of a 5 link over a 3 link setup? It seems like a lot of extra work for little benefit???

LAST QUESTION: What suspension shops have you guys used? I'm living in ABQ NM, but originally from So. CA, am willing to go 3 states away for a great setup.

PLEASE NO LEAF SPRING ADVICE.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Shops: I love wicked fab's work up in santa clara. John Hall up in Paso Robles basically set the standard for rockcrawling suspensions. Hanna in San Luis Obispo is the cleanest fabricator I have ever seen. There are more great ones out there, but those are 3 I can think of off hand.

There are alot of other great shops. But I think I would take my truck to one of those places as of today (new fab shops are opening up every day, and you never know what new shops are going to open tomorrow)

All your other questions as far as track width, 3 link vs 5 link, etc the fabricator should be able to go over with you and tell you whats the best for your needs. If he doesnt know after looking over the truck well, find another fabricator. That is part of their job, to engineer your suspension up, and make it work. You already have a great idea, so go with it. (just have fun matching bolt patterns)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Mike Duncan (4xDoc in Burbank, CA) built mine. But he'd prolly lock the door if he saw another Dakota/Durango swap coming LOL.

As far as width etc... When we did it, the Durango was still my daily driver and I lived in SoCal. Goal was to keep it stock-ish width. IIRC, I'm right at 63-64" WMS. Looks very nice. A custom axle builder will be able to do what ever you and the builder decide.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Oh as far a suspension type.... I'm running 5 link - 4link with track bar. Room up front is VERY tight. Running a 3-link might be possible but it really all depends on how high you build it. Otherwise the oil pan gets in the way. My goal was as low as possible and still fit 35's with trimming/banging :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts