Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I too am interested in what you think of the air shocks. I have been thinking about linking the front of my 7 and use Airs instead of coilovers.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I added 100cc's of oil to each shock and it made a night and day difference in just low speed road handling. Before my Jeep would sway like a coil spring with no shocks or swaybars now its like a little mini cooper.

For high speed stuff, I have had it on the dirt roads by my house to about 3300 RPM in 4th gear which I imagine is about 60 and it handles decent but cannot say much because I had only about 2 psi in the tires.

On the trail I think I was the most happy with my decision. The air shocks with the added oil seem to be very neutral on climbs and off camber situations. Has unloaded while going down hill or anything.

Overall I am pretty happy with them.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
How's the rig doing? :smokin:

This was from today actually.

Just mounted up some new 42" Pitbull Rockers.
Just for some numbers:
@ 10 psi on the rig; Rockers (40.75") Irok (38.5")
@ 3 psi on the rig; Rockers (unknown) Irok (36.0")

This is just getting ready to go on a nice long weekend wheeling.. So Maybe I will post 1 or 2 pics of it in action when I get back.

For the rig, I have added some rub rails on the corner guards so I will stop crunching my soft top clip thingy on the tub.

I am on the 3 14 bolt with bending housings. But this one has seemed to be holding up.

Other than that, I have gone through 4 windshields and rolled it once, and flopped a few times.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)

I must say I do like these tires alot more then my Iroks. At about 3-4 psi they measure about 39.5" tall. They fling the mud good and clean out well. Then they work great on the rocks.

Although I did break a front drive shaft, and tweaked my front truss a little. And my atlas sounds like someone filled it with nuts and bolts. :eek:

Some little things to fix, but a fun weekend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
where is that last picture taken, is it at an offroad park or what? thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
I gotta say I really like the look of this Jeep. Nice work.:smokin:

Any Chance of getting you to post some pics of the front four link set up mainly the uppers? How far is the front axle pushed forward?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I gotta say I really like the look of this Jeep. Nice work.:smokin:

Any Chance of getting you to post some pics of the front four link set up mainly the uppers? How far is the front axle pushed forward?
I will see if I can get pics in the next few days. I have to rebuild my front axle truss because I bent it a little this past weekend.

As for numbers, I pushed the front end forward enough so that the front tires stick about 1" infront of the bumper, 90deg approach.

·
Registered
63 Posts
How about you post some pictures for wheeling this past weekend...Since mine is still sitting on jack stands maybe it will get me inspired to get it done.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
After my last wheeling trip,

I found out that my spindle seal went to shit... :mad3:

Also, from my last trip. I tweaked the front axle truss, so this is what is taking its place as we speak

I also, bent my front drive shaft and my atlas sounds like their is a bag of nuts/bolts instead of gear oil..

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks for the pics. That new truss should hold up just fine from the looks of it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Burnt my trans/atlas mount.

Old truss..

Cut off..

I will make sure I take some good pics of the new truss and suspension setup for you as well.. If it will help ya.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Looks like that truss will be beef, but won't it limit uptravel?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Looks like that truss will be beef, but won't it limit uptravel?
I lost 1/4" of uptravel. Only because at full flex the large angled portion just touched the frame. So I lowered it and cleaned up the frame a little bit.

Front to rear wise, it fits right between the crank pully and the radiator.

41 - 60 of 116 Posts