Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at differences between the big 3 beyond the obvious (HP, torque, etc.).

I have accepted that each of the big 3 will have SOME problem either now or in the future. The question is how much do I care about these problems vs my ability to fix it.
I'm looking at CC, DRW, 4x4, diesel but no off-road beyond basic dirt roads. Modern trucks seem plenty powerful off the lot for majority of duties.

Chevy:
GM twins and the Duramax:
GM is known for penny pinching but they seem to be getting better. The current crop seems like a good overall balance of truck built for longevity as long as you don't run hotshot. Looks like the Dmaxes are good for 400k +/-. One truck I saw looked like GM pinched pennies with thinner sheet metal.

Dodge:
Legendary engine and aisin trans seems stout. Not very quick but I'm not drag racing. Only PITA is the cutoff middle position in the back seat and they went cheap out on space behind the bench. I want an 8 foot bed so no megacab. Dodge seems synonymous with creeks and rattle and electrical gremlins but how much of that is legitimate? How much can't be DIY fixed.

Ford:
See occasional horror stories on engine failure. Supposedly a 10 speed trans is coming to get better MPG. I always had a bur in my side with my last PStroke and MPG from the RPMs. Did I mention there is ZERO space in the engine bay? Oh and what number engine model are they on? Behind the rear seat seems like storage is good. My last truck was a ford and the body was stout but my hands still hurt from the engine bay. Off the lot the trucks look like they ride high.

Overall, I'd love a rear seat that reclined just a little, even if it had to slide forward to do it. I'd love individual arm rests for three rear passenger. Have thought about ripping out rear seat and swapping with custom setup but I have time to wait for OEMs to update models. Is it just me but WTF is up with crappy or no rear headrest in center (I'm looking at you GM).

Avoiding a springboard feel when empty is also nice. I don't mind tech but they usually break halfway into a cross-country pull...on a 10% grade...in the SE...in August or similar situation in sub-zero temps.
Whatever I buy with be a couple years old but I'm nervous about finding the sweet spot between mileage, durability, and predictability.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
In my world, a tow rig is a tool, I have a late 90’s dodge Cummins that’s moderately modified, the toy hauler is the spacious space, I’ll drive all damn day in a uncomfortable seat With rattles everywhere I don’t care, but I know it will get there, and if not minor repair. Any newer diesels are comfy, but that’s about it.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
well my buddy just spent 11,000 on his 17 ford platinum with 19,000 miles on it. seems some water got in it a while back. I'm so glad I went back to gas.
if you are grossing less than 26k I really can't recommend a diesel anymore. there is my 2 cents, and I bought a 18 chebby heavy half.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you're not pulling a heavy gooseneck or 5th wheel. Buy a gasser.

As far as diesel is concerned, at our company we have Chevrolets and a Dodge. We've had some trucks that have had issues, some that have had none. The Dodge, we just did full deletes on it because the DEF injection system was going out, its a 2014. On that same token we have a 2015 Chevrolet where same thing happened to it. But we have a 2014 and 2016 Chevrolet with no DEF issues, but we have chased other random electrical/check engine lights on the Chevys. The Dodge, that DEF has been the only thing. Not much experience with newer Fords, I have heard fuel system horror stories on the newest ones, but just stories online.

For my money, I would buy the Dodge just because that truck feels the best pulling a 15k gooseneck down the highway (it won't accelerate as fast as the Chevys, but it seems to be able to maintain speed and keep it going without much drama and also creeping it into a tight job site. It has the best off idle feel. Also, I'm a big guy and the cab feels wider than the Chevy's. I don't like being hugged by my truck.

The Duramax's you seem to have to give them the gas to get them to move, but when they do they do. For a daily driver, not loaded much it's the best choice, you want to pull out in traffic in front of someone it'll do it, but if I'm not hauling all the time I'd just get a gasser.

The reason we have so many Chevys is the boss is a Chevy guy. 90% of the time that's what it really comes down to, which one you just like. From performance and reliability stand point they are all pretty much the same.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I just went through this process a few months ago and ended up getting a 2018 DRW CCLB GMC Sierra Denali diesel after a lot of shopping and weighing the options. My prior truck was a 6.7 Ford. I don’t regret the switch at all. Very happy with my new truck. Fit and finish is great and the ride and power are better than my old Ford IMO.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I just went through this process a few months ago and ended up getting a 2018 DRW CCLB GMC Sierra Denali diesel after a lot of shopping and weighing the options. My prior truck was a 6.7 Ford. I don’t regret the switch at all. Very happy with my new truck. Fit and finish is great and the ride and power are better than my old Ford IMO.
geez, brag much? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Had a 2017 Ram 2500, 22 months of ownership and 40K miles. The 68RFE would lose prime after sitting for a couple of days, 2 dealers both uninterested. It developed a popping noise in the dash @ 20K and I couldn't track it down, and both driver's side door hinges were sagging and started to squeal. It also had an electrical gremlin in the 4wd system and the it would randomly tell me that it was shifting to 4wd at highway speeds, once again two different dealers said run it to failure.

My sister had a 2016 Duramax, it was a sensor nightmare, constantly in the shop with cooling system errors or DEF system problems. The waterpump ate itself @ 27K. She's was issued a work truck now so she dumped it @ 72K for a Hyundai.

I rolled the dice on a 2019 F250, I've heard all the horror stories about the fuel systems, but I don't personally know anyone that's been in that boat, it's always the I knew a guy that had a buddy type of thing.

The Ford is far more comfortable than the competitors IMO, and seems to be better put together, I suspect I lost some fuel ecomomy over the Dodge, but I haven't had it long enough to get an unloaded highway trip to compare accuratley.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I was a service advisor/parts for a small dealership that was 90% trucks in 2016. All the service loaners where crew cab duallys with goosenecks.

Most* of these have been fixed from failure or recall, but you never know. The track bar backet needed a brace added. Which basically meant bolting up another piece of metal to the frame side all shitty like. Had a lot of death wobble complaints.

sensor on the exhaust would go out causing limp mode. Usually happened around 70-80k miles. Solution was a new exhaust on a 4+ week back order. Have fun in limp mode in 100 miles.

Body control modules and other electrical gremlins qere constant. A second $75 fuel filter was added above the rear axle. Cabs had phantom water leaks.

Water pump is the same design since the 80s, sans weep hole. So you wont know when it goes out until it shits the bed, wraps the belt around the fan clutch, rips the wires out of it, and strands you on the side of the road. The solution was to run a 5.9 pump with a weep hole, it was also cheaper.

Seen injectors and even rod bearings go out in <50k miles. Actually had more complaints with the aisin than the 68.

Fuck fiat

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I was a service advisor/parts for a small dealership that was 90% trucks in 2016. All the service loaners where crew cab duallys with goosenecks.

Most* of these have been fixed from failure or recall, but you never know. The track bar backet needed a brace added. Which basically meant bolting up another piece of metal to the frame side all shitty like. Had a lot of death wobble complaints.

sensor on the exhaust would go out causing limp mode. Usually happened around 70-80k miles. Solution was a new exhaust on a 4+ week back order. Have fun in limp mode in 100 miles.

Body control modules and other electrical gremlins qere constant. A second $75 fuel filter was added above the rear axle. Cabs had phantom water leaks.

Water pump is the same design since the 80s, sans weep hole. So you wont know when it goes out until it shits the bed, wraps the belt around the fan clutch, rips the wires out of it, and strands you on the side of the road. The solution was to run a 5.9 pump with a weep hole, it was also cheaper.

Seen injectors and even rod bearings go out in <50k miles. Actually had more complaints with the aisin than the 68.

Fuck fiat
I just wanted to point out that if you were a service advisor,"surprise"....people don't go to the service advisor to tell them that their trucks running great.

I had a 2015 ram with the aisin and moved up to a 2017 dually with the aisin... if you don't want the Pogo ride get the air ride in the rear, it rides pretty awesome empty and loaded and self leels with a load, it also runs 2 leafs in the rear vs 6 or 7..

My buddy has a 2017 GMC Dually and we have the same size toy hauler , we carry the same weight, and we drive up the same Hills and both trucks run about the same, we also get the same fuel mileage. so at that point I would get the truck you like the interior best in. I also have a Chevy colorado..and between the 2 I prefer the ram interior. the ram nav kicks ass compared to gm...it's my biggest complaint with the chevy

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
I have a 15 Ram Tradesman crew short 2500 4x4. It is just about to turn 80k miles. It is a Cummins with a Getrag and a manual shift t-case. The only thing I have taken it to the dealer for was the rubber inside the trans shift lever delaminated so the stick would rotate. It made it very hard to get into reverse. When it was cold outside after first start-up, I used to get the "4wd shift in progress" message on the dash occasionally, but haven't seen it in a long time. Not too worried as I have a lever to shift the t-case, and if the front axle disconnect couples up it just rotates the shafts and gears, no biggie. There are a couple of recalls I need to have done, and now that I hear the water pump one is complete failure I may have that done sooner than later. I feel this has been a GREAT truck. Even with the lower power rating that the manual trucks get, it gets the job done in every way that I need it to.
Travis..

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Behind the back seat storage in a '17-up Ford crewcab is a pain to use (the way the seatbacks latch to the cab makes them very hard to work). I haven't spent a lot of time trying, but what I did find was, I don't want to mess with that much. Under the seat storage is pretty good, I use that. I don't remember when the last body switch was, so the same probably applies another year or two back from '17. Rear seats have basically three settings, normal, everything up, or everything down. It is a 60/40 split so you can have one or two seats and some cargo access next to that. No recline or slide.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
If I was looking at a CC, DRW, 4x4, 8'bed, Diesel truck I would go straight to the Ford F450. You can get all the same options, even King Ranch. But you also get the wide-track front end witch really helps with turning radius. I have Dodge trucks but a good friend has a '17 F450 and it seems to turn sharper than my CC short bed Ram.

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
If you look around, most fleets have dumped diesel and went to gas motors.
My company saved a ton and a lot less headaches.
The new diesel motors are equivalent to the gas motors from the 80's. We've loaded them down with so many emissions devices that we have no idea what they are doing.

·
Premium Member
14,254 Posts
If I was looking at a CC, DRW, 4x4, 8'bed, Diesel truck I would go straight to the Ford F450. You can get all the same options, even King Ranch. But you also get the wide-track front end witch really helps with turning radius. I have Dodge trucks but a good friend has a '17 F450 and it seems to turn sharper than my CC short bed Ram.

I dd a 2016 f450 1000 miles a week weighing in at 15000lbs. The thing is flat out impressive. It hauls ass, handles amazing, and has had no problems to date. Currently at 80k

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am a lifelong Chevy guy. Bought my first Dodge in January 2016. A 2014 CCLB 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins 68rfe used with 21k on it. I absolutely love it. I pull 12k-18k 10-12 times a year and under 12k countless times a year. It rides rough empty. Had its fair share of recalls, and currently has a coolant leak from the radiator hose Wye but other than that has been extremely reliable. Mpg is good for an 8500lb truck. Low rpm power is insane. It climbs hills with a trailer at stupid low rpm compared to my Duramax and Powerstroke buddies. 77k on the clock and cab is still super quiet. Had the Catalytic Converter replaced on a recall but other than that no emmissions related issues. It chugs DEF when loaded though. I highly recommend Ram trucks to everyone.

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
If you look around, most fleets have dumped diesel and went to gas motors.
My company saved a ton and a lot less headaches.
The new diesel motors are equivalent to the gas motors from the 80's. We've loaded them down with so many emissions devices that we have no idea what they are doing.
x1000 fawk new diesels with all their problems and prices

·
Registered
613 Posts
I dd a 2016 f450 1000 miles a week weighing in at 15000lbs. The thing is flat out impressive. It hauls ass, handles amazing, and has had no problems to date. Currently at 80k
Somewhat agree. Company rig is 2016 f550 standard cab base model, with service bed 8k crane. Weighs 20k on average. No issues at 42k driving it like I stole it everyday.

However my personal tow rig is a 2017 ram tradesman 3500 cclb drw, and I like the interior way more than my work rig, more comfortable to me and prefer the layout.

Can't really talk shit about the Ford though cause I beat it like a base drum in a junior high band and she runs just fine. Just my personal preference is ram(fiat).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts