Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
I dd a 2016 f450 1000 miles a week weighing in at 15000lbs. The thing is flat out impressive. It hauls ass, handles amazing, and has had no problems to date. Currently at 80k
agree. Company rig is 2016 f550 standard cab base model, with service bed 8k crane. Weighs 20k on average. No issues at 42k driving it like I stole it everyday.

However my personal tow rig is a 2017 ram tradesman 3500 cclb drw, and I like the interior way more than my work rig, more comfortable to me and prefer the layout.

Can't really talk shit about the Ford though cause I beat it like a base drum in a junior high band and she runs just fine. Just my personal preference is ram(fiat).

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
No you don't. It's not a getrag.

It's a g56. Made by mercedes.
Ok, you got me. My old truck was a first gen with a Getrag, I've talked about it so much that my default thought is Getrag when I think manual behind a Cummins :flipoff2:
Travis..

·
Registered
92 Posts
As some others mentioned above, I'd buy a clean gas truck (I'd personally buy GM for their motor). People brag about their diesels that have 2-300k miles on them, hell, I had an 01 S10 that went 180k miles on the original spark plugs. For the money, they need to go at least 500k, but the newer ones just won't do that without LARGE amounts of money invested in them.

So I'd buy a gas GM truck, and throw power adders at it until it tows what you want. When it blows up, put a $2k long block in it and do it again.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The Ford is far more comfortable than the competitors IMO, and seems to be better put together, I suspect I lost some fuel ecomomy over the Dodge, but I haven't had it long enough to get an unloaded highway trip to compare accuratley.

First unloaded all highway run completed today, 307 miles most of it with cruise set on 75, with the excpetion of the 35 E/W convergance. 19.4 hand calculated, with a 20mph tail wind. Just as I stated earlier the Lariat seats are about 1000X better than the Ram seats, based on how my bad back feels right now.

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
I had a 02 diesel ram 3500 dually, then went to a SRW 3500 gas for hauling my slide in camper. recently went to a 26' bumper pull toy hauler that's 9k-10k, it really worked that hemi in the rockies and was under-powered. I also haul dump trailers and equipment and just went back to a ram diesel. There is just no substitution for diesel torque. I would have stayed with gas just hauling around town, but running highway in the mountains that poor hemi probably would have had a short life. And diesel sucks in winter, but the 6.7 cummins seems to heat up a lot faster than my old 5.9.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I don't think any of the big 3 are perfect in the reliability department. I'd pick the Ford hands down. Around here, 95% of company trucks I see are Ford. For the simple fact that the other 2 fall apart when getting hammered on jobsites.

For some reason everyone online likes to bash fords, I know they aren't perfect, but out of all the dozens of fords I'm around at work, I almost never hear of any issues. From what you read online, there should be blown 6.7s every week.

One thing that I can't defend is the complexity under the hood. I wouldn't be buying a newer truck with plans to be working on it myself anyway. You would probably need $1000s in diagnostics equipment to actually do anything.

·
Registered
464 Posts
One thing that I can't defend is the complexity under the hood. I wouldn't be buying a newer truck with plans to be working on it myself anyway. You would probably need $1000s in diagnostics equipment to actually do anything.

I am not sure how much that holds true anymore. A $85 dongle and Forscan on a tablet or PC and you are pretty much in control. Programming modules, changing parameters, diagnostics etc. it all seems to be possible.

·
TBD
632 Posts
If you can wait, the rumor mills are churning hard that the big 3 will be going back to big displacement gas engines. Chevy (6.6L) and Ram (7.0L) are just rumors that I know of, but apparently it's been confirmed that Ford will debut a 7.3L V8 gas engine for the F250/350/450 for 2020. Numbers are hazy as no one knows, but expectations are around 480-500HP and 510-525ft/Lbs. Perhaps more. I would love to see 500/550 out of that engine but we'll see.

Regardless, with 4.30 gears and a 10-Speed Torqshift that could be a potent combo for a tow rig that sees a lot of city miles and the once or twice a month haul. 2019 Ford has a regular cab F450 available, which is a first outside of the C&C models I believe.

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,733 Posts
If you can wait, the rumor mills are churning hard that the big 3 will be going back to big displacement gas engines. Chevy (6.6L) and Ram (7.0L) are just rumors that I know of, but apparently it's been confirmed that Ford will debut a 7.3L V8 gas engine for the F250/350/450 for 2020. Numbers are hazy as no one knows, but expectations are around 480-500HP and 510-525ft/Lbs. Perhaps more. I would love to see 500/550 out of that engine but we'll see.

Regardless, with 4.30 gears and a 10-Speed Torqshift that could be a potent combo for a tow rig that sees a lot of city miles and the once or twice a month haul. 2019 Ford has a regular cab F450 available, which is a first outside of the C&C models I believe.
Direct injection and big cubes would be awesome.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/11/new-gm-engine-coming-to-wide-range-of-heavy-trucks/

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
My '19 F350 has a callout for both the 6.2 and a 6.8 gas engine, plus the 6.7 diesel, on the AC service sticker under the hood. I can't find other references to a 6.8, but the sticker has me wondering if there's a midyear engine coming.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I went with a 2012 RAM, no DEF, mute point if you delete. This is the newest truck you can get with no DEF. The back seats can be modded to fold down so you can store some stuff behind them.

So far its been a good truck, I only use it when towing or hauling, so it sits a lot.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I went with a 2012 RAM, no DEF, mute point if you delete. This is the newest truck you can get with no DEF. The back seats can be modded to fold down so you can store some stuff behind them.

So far its been a good truck, I only use it when towing or hauling, so it sits a lot.
A friend of mine bought one new for that reason, it was getting an average of 12 mpg while the def trucks were getting mid to upper teens. It was also far from problem free. I'm not convinced the early dpf trucks without def are any more reliable than the ones with.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts

Interesting, I had read about the new Ford gas engine, but not about the Chevy or Ram. I have the 6.4L in my current Ram, and am pleased with it for what I do. Never could make the diesel numbers work out for me to make the switch from gas back to diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
A friend of mine bought one new for that reason, it was getting an average of 12 mpg while the def trucks were getting mid to upper teens. It was also far from problem free. I'm not convinced the early dpf trucks without def are any more reliable than the ones with.
My MPG is 12-14 empty, 8 towing 14K. Because mine sits so much I didn't want to deal with the DEF going bad in its tank. I read that could be an issue. Part of the bad MPG is it injects fuel on the exhaust stroke instead of DEF. Im not deleted, despite spending all the money buying all the stuff for it. Right now it runs good so Im leaving it. My fear is some day the DOT can say emissions testing for all diesels that had emissions equipment installed.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts