Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Passenger side wouldn't be too bad for sure, just make sure you have that tube welded and/or trussed to the pumpkin, I've seen plug welds broken loose via a link over there :D.

About the 05 D60, the reference I made was based on the tooth count of the tone rings, something like 48 teeth on a WJ and 60 teeth on a 05+ Super Duty 60. That should balance out to be correct with 37" tires, but it not something I've actually attempted yet.

Marc, the owner of this jeep tapped into the speed sensor in the 231 tcase when he went away from the ABS sensors, and I believe I just heard about someone tapping into the transmission speed sensors? Might be the LCOG WJ thread :D. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Passenger side wouldn't be too bad for sure, just make sure you have that tube welded and/or trussed to the pumpkin, I've seen plug welds broken loose via a link over there :D.

About the 05 D60, the reference I made was based on the tooth count of the tone rings, something like 48 teeth on a WJ and 60 teeth on a 05+ Super Duty 60. That should balance out to be correct with 37" tires, but it not something I've actually attempted yet.

Marc, the owner of this jeep tapped into the speed sensor in the 231 tcase when he went away from the ABS sensors, and I believe I just heard about someone tapping into the transmission speed sensors? Might be the LCOG WJ thread :D. Hope that helps!
I am planning on welding the tubes, and I already ordered a artec truss to tie everything together just in case. Ill decide which side ill use once I start to cut into it, im sure ill be picking your brains about the 3 link then.

I asked about the electronics because I figured it was something you had already tried, I did read the LCOG wj thread regarding the Dakota DB, and if I cant get the SD signal to work with the wj, then Ill do the Dakota route.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Full uptravel not flexing, 1" from the fender. Might need to cut more fender in the long run :smokin:

Axle side coilover mount

Frame side coilover mount

Some more welding

This is on the frame rail, pretty close to where it ended up

Final positioning, full bump

Full droop
I want to do this for a WJ build myself.

How much for all the parts (heirs, brackets, axles)? I can do my own fab (welding, grinding, etc)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Dragging up a old thread.

I put a 242J out of a 4.0 WJ in my WJ limited one ton swap build and have no speedo and the dreaded P0500 code that's causing stalling.

Can someone help me fix this please?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Dragging up a old thread.

I put a 242J out of a 4.0 WJ in my WJ limited one ton swap build and have no speedo and the dreaded P0500 code that's causing stalling.

Can someone help me fix this please?
I did the Ford SD axle swap several years ago and still don't have the speedo working...but it hasn't caused any shifting problems or engine stalling and no speed sensor codes. What year, motor, and trans you have? Mines a 2000 WJ with 4.0L and 42RE. I haven't tried it yet but you may be able to tap into one of the transmission speed sensors for a signal to your speed input at the ABS circuit. I tried tapping into the Sterling axle ABS sensor without much luck. Problem with the WJ 242J t-case is that it doesn't have a provision for a speedo gear or speed sensor on the tailshaft so you have to find some other source. On the other hand, the 231J from a later XJ has the electronic speed signal that you could use if you wanted to swap. Lots of possibilities but unfortunately I haven't tried them yet.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-cherokee/2171458-wj-build-sd-axles.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
What axle are you running in the rear?

The stalling issue is not caused because of no speed sensor. I drove around for a year before recently fixing that issue. Wj gets speed readings from abs sensors/tone rings. I installed a custom set and all has been fixed. Could do a write up to help out. I’m running a 60 rear and 242hd case. You’ll need two rings cut out and install the old two sensors. Abs still won’t work with just two sensors but speedometer will. You have the abs and brake light on but it doesn’t affect check engine light or other code.

My wj would stall when coming to a sudden stop. Especially after a hard brake. It was not the brake booster. For me I believe it was the throttle position sensor/ or just plain too low of an idle. I swapped out the whole throttle body with sensors and everything good so far.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts