Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anti-wrap bar

To help fight spring-wrap, protect the driveshaft and yoke from grenading, and put the power to the ground where it belongs, I had to make an anti-wrap bar.

After doing a TON of research, including reading John Nutter's excellent article at www.outdoorwire.com several times and looking at all the different types of designs available, I finally settled on basically copying the famous Sam's Offroad traction bar, which can be seen and purchased here.

Dcp_1974.jpg

The basic building blocks for my bar are these 2 tractor 3-point hitch top links. I got them pretty cheap from the local:

Dcp_2129.jpg

The front end attaches to my custom transfer case skid plate with a shackle I got from Parts for Trucks in the trailer-building section. The lower bolt in the shackle is greasable, the top is not as it attaches through a rubber bushing. Note that this picture is of initial mock-up, in the finished product the shackle is vertical.

Dcp_2130.jpg

The rear ends of the bar attach with brackets, the lower end to the axle tube and the upper end to the axle truss.

Dcp_2131.jpg

DOM tubing was used in the middle of the bar as the top links were not long enough by themselves.

Dcp_2134.jpg

Just a view from the passenger side.

After installation, I have no axle wrap at all, and there was a noticeable increase in "off the line" acceleration as power is transferred to the ground instead of wrapping the springs into an "S" shape. With the shackle, rod ends. and bushings, there is no bind or interference to limit articulation.

HOME

Get a GoStats hit counter

·
Registered
35 Posts
So try pulling the bolt out of either end of the shackle with the suspension at full droop. Now can you claim that there is no bind?

1 - 2 of 3 Posts