Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been planning/thinking about future mods. Looking at an antiwrap bar. I know most use a ladder bar with shckles style set up because it works. My thought is this. Build the ladder bar. On the frame end slide another piece of DOM down inside and attach it solid with a bushing like the end of a control arm. It would work like a drive shaft and could telescope in and out as the axle goes up and down and could rotate as the axle twists. The bushing allows it not to bind as the axle goes up and down and the dom tubing inside allows it to twist. Do you all think this would work? Does it even makes sense?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Been planning/thinking about future mods. Looking at an antiwrap bar. I know most use a ladder bar with shckles style set up because it works. My thought is this. Build the ladder bar. On the frame end slide another piece of DOM down inside and attach it solid with a bushing like the end of a control arm. It would work like a drive shaft and could telescope in and out as the axle goes up and down and could rotate as the axle twists. The bushing allows it not to bind as the axle goes up and down and the dom tubing inside allows it to twist. Do you all think this would work? Does it even makes sense?
It's been done.

Search on this site for some interesting ideas as to how they've been made. There are a ton of threads on here with pics.

·
Liquid Iron Ind.
3,536 Posts
That's a good, cheap way to do it. It might develop some slop but for a trail rig I don't see the issue at all. Just make sure that you watch how much heat you put into the outside tube when you weld on it. If it warps at all the inner tube won't slide in and out, might even get stuck. Also, consider tapping the outside tube about halfway down for a grease fitting.

I'm getting ready to start a production run on XJ antiwrap/traction bars. Here's one of the pre-production setups. The bar itself has changed some in favor of a lighter construction.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
i run this style bar on my yj...

i used a rear TJ track bar and cut the straight section from teh solid stock. it fits real well in a piece of 1.25x.120 dom. i put a gease fitting on it as well. works great.

i even used the stock rear track bar bushing cut off and spliced to teh straight section with a short piece of the DOM.

oh and you gotta use DOM since it doesnt have teh raised seam in it like HREW does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts