Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some pictures of a different design for an antiwrap bar. To me, it really does not look any different than a single bar on the top of the chunk in function. I believe it still has to use the front half of the spring as part of the anti wrap system. What do y'all think about this idea. Here is a link to the right up.

http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/bambar/

·
Premium Member
19,779 Posts
Looks like its goine bend,
Needs something else on the shackle. but its a different way of doing it

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Well if anything it sure looks neat. :D

I'm with Mark though, the shackles needs some more bracing. However I would love to hear some real world feed back regarding how it works. Hell I am gonna build me a new "anti wrap" device this weekend, maybe I will try that. What the hell.......:D

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
the design is just a conventional traction bar rotated 90*, I would assume that since spring wrap is a result of rotational forces, the orientation of the bar would not change the effectiveness???

What might make a difference is the distance between links and the angles??? it looks like maybe four inches between the links on the axle, seems like a conventional style bar would have more leverage with the links spaced 7 or 8 inches???

I promise this makes sense in my head :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
78,528 Posts
GloNDark said:

I'm with Mark though, the shackles needs some more bracing. However I would love to hear some real world feed back regarding how it works. Hell I am gonna build me a new "anti wrap" device this weekend, maybe I will try that. What the hell.......:D

Click on the link provided and then click on "discuss". Read the
comments on how it's been working. I know Al and have seen
his Jeep wheel. he's had it on for a year and it works fine.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Looks like you'll want to keep the shackle part as long as possible.

troutbum is right.
If you want to illustrate this, make the shackle shorter and shorter and see where the axle is forced to move while the suspension is loaded and unloaded.

I think for the slow stuff this set up would work fine, but if you like jumping or big suspension hits, this is not the set up for you.

The same thing will happen with a traditional anti-wrap bar, but they are much longer, so the effect is lessened.

This is based on design review, not testing.

That is all.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
GloNDark said:

what did you have before?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
MellowYellow said:
Looks like you'll want to keep the shackle part as long as possible.

troutbum is right.
If you want to illustrate this, make the shackle shorter and shorter and see where the axle is forced to move while the suspension is loaded and unloaded.

I think for the slow stuff this set up would work fine, but if you like jumping or big suspension hits, this is not the set up for you.

The same thing will happen with a traditional anti-wrap bar, but they are much longer, so the effect is lessened.

This is based on design review, not testing.

That is all.
just a single bar with a fancy mount, may work if spring wrap isnt a big problem with your suspension setup but will cause some wierd things to your springs as the suspension cycles and the traction bar doesnt fallow the arc of the springs. Ladder bars with a shackle have the benifit of stoping rotation and not haveing the side affect of binding up the suspension because of dissimiliar arcs. Just another failed attempt at trying to reinvent the wheel, glad it works for his rig though.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
AlumCJ said:
what did you have before?
A single bar on the top of the axle tube with a leaf spring bushing, up to a ford radius arm style bushing and mount on the cross member. Helped with wrap, did not eliminate it completely though.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
In looking at the design, I like what's attached to the axle housing itself. I would replace the shackle with tube tho, put poly bushings at each end, and extend it forward to the cross frame tube my existing Y-type wrap bar attaches to now.

hhhmmm....Might be worth an experiment...appears it might create less articulation limitations than the standard center-mount ladder bar...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
troutbum said:
It also seems like at full droop the shackle will want to pull the top of the housing forward while the springs will move back, wont this cause the springs to wrap???:confused:
That's what I was thinking too. What if you turned it around and had the top bar go towards the rear, then it would move in the same direction as the springs, though maybe not in the exact same arc.

Or you could do a shackle reverse. :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.