Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My first diesel, been a chevy truck guy forever. 92 C3500 , turbo 6.5 mechanical injector pump. #8 compression is a lot lower than the others

Compression test results:

#1- 330 psi #2- 390 psi
3- 360 4- 370
5- 350 6 -350
7- 360 8 -270

Engine was warm, idled for a few min. Then did the compression test. Bought the truck not running , had been sitting for months. New lift pump and fuel filter and oil change and bled inj lines and got it running. Put 5 gal of fresh fuel in it but dont know what was in tank before. It idles good but in neutral giving it throttle it smokes a lot- blue and sounds rough. Cant drive it clutch was installed wrong which is the reason they parked it. I will pull trans and clutch this weekend.

Does that 270 psi on #8 mean its hosed ? Is it even firing with the compression at 270? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
587 Posts
it'll fire at 270, gotta remember its indirect injection it'll run at 180 lol

but whats the milage for the truck? if its over 200,000 i would start replacing the injectors, because they only supost to have a life span of 175,000 km

also watch your antifreeze level, because they love to blow head gaskets, and that will cause the unit to smoke.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Paid 1400 for this truck . Zero rust. The odo shows 177K miles, dont know any history on it. Hopefully I can pull the nv4500 out and fix the clutch and get the truck running decent enough to use it when i need to pull a gooseneck with construction stuff to my property.
I have a 93 2500 5.7 for daily driver and lighter hauling.

·
Registered
330 Posts
That truck came from the factory with a dual mass flywheel (DMF). I'd bet by the mileage that the clutch has been changed at least once before. I think around '96 is when GM switched over to a solid flywheel from the factory for the 6.5L's, and clutch replacement jobs done at dealerships usually involved converting DMF's to solid. The clutch differs based on the flywheel...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reason it was parked is they had somebody change the clutch who screwed it up. It rattles like hell and wont disengage all the way. You can start the truck in gear and it will drive in that gear but it wont shift with the engine running. I will pull it all apart in a day or 2 and see what the hell the idiot did.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Real common for the #8 cyl to wear out faster than the others. There is not as much coolant circulation around that cylinder as the others so as a result it runs hotter than the others. If you pull the head you will also find an excessive amount of wear/taper than the others also. Couple of blocks I have fixed by having a machine shop install a steel sleeve in that hole

·
Registered
587 Posts
there great engines though, and great on fuel, i got a 96 gmc crew, longbox, 1 ton, and it makes 21mpg if i don't want to blow black smoke all day long.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
we've had 2 of these engines now. the 96 with a 5spd, the engine has held up well in it, but the clutches are another story. they are WAY too small to be in a 3500HD. the 98 3500HD has an auto. goes thru trannies every 45-65k the engine was replaced once under warranty for a head gasket issue. I am replacing another auto tranny in it now, and will make it go away FAST!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Check out The Diesel Page.com, they have all you need to know about 6.5's.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Reason it was parked is they had somebody change the clutch who screwed it up. It rattles like hell and wont disengage all the way. You can start the truck in gear and it will drive in that gear but it wont shift with the engine running. I will pull it all apart in a day or 2 and see what the hell the idiot did.
It rattles because you have the wrong clutch/flywheel pair. Someone threw out the dual mass flywheel because they are expensive to replace and put a solid one in without using the proper clutch. The dual mass flywheels have springs in them and if you replace them with a solid one you need the correct clutch disk.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It rattles because you have the wrong clutch/flywheel pair. Someone threw out the dual mass flywheel because they are expensive to replace and put a solid one in without using the proper clutch. The dual mass flywheels have springs in them and if you replace them with a solid one you need the correct clutch disk.
OK Thanks, Im going to tear into it today.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
All 6 flywheel bolts loose, flywheel rocks back and forth about 1/2 in. Obviously not torqued and not locktited.

Dowel pin broke off in crank.

Has brand new solid flywheel, new disc looks like carbon frictions , new pressure plate , old leaking slave and old grinding throwout bearing.
Bellhousing previously welded, will clean it up and inspect.
Im going to try and look up some numbers off this stuff to see if it is correct.

Have to work 16 hrs sunday so wont get to mess with it for a while, hopefully i can drill that dowel so I can use an easy out or tap it and screw a 3/32 bolt or something in it to pull it out.
NV4500 is a heavy biotch!

Buying non running diesel truck- an adventure.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I just trashed my turboed 6.2 due to a bad injector i think, so i would check out your motor and make sure all cylinders are makin in the nieghborhood of the same power, or you crank may do like mine did and leave a flaming hole in the side of the pan when it throws out moving parts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to take a look inside the NV4500 before I put it back in.

Can I get a decent idea of condition of everything by just pulling the top cover and taking a look ? Anybody suggest just going ahead and replacing some of the wear components or any problem items while the trans is out?

Suggestions? Thanks , Dave

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have never driven this truck, winched it onto a trailer and pulled the trans due to the clutch issue, so I dont even know if it shifts.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wouldnt worry to much about a NV4500, ive got the same combo as you in my truck, and it grinds going into third if your power shifting but i bought the truck like that and it hasnt gotten any worse. They are a tough tranny, if you do anything to it make sure your fifth gear nut isn't loose and put the proper locking nut on it.

Should be a good truck to you, good luck:)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just drain the oil and have a look at that, put the right stuff back in.
X2, proper oil for sure!!!
92 NV4500 should have the lower 1st gear. IIRC

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just noticed: It had NO FRIGGIN PILOT BEARING!! Got one today at the dealer along with new flywheel bolts and dowel pin. Previous owners must have had a complete crackhead put that clutch in

1 - 20 of 20 Posts