Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a dolly to yank my rig around but don't know anything about it. I don't know if all dollies are the same but with this one the wheels can turn, but it has a lock out to keep them straight. So do I let them turn or lock them straight? Seems to me I'd want them locked but I don't know.

It has a place for a license plate but it's in the middle so when the car's on it, it covers it up. Will I get pulled over for it not being visible?

Also, it has wiring for lights but it seems magnetic lights on the back of the rig would be more visible.

It's rated for 3500 pounds. Is that the maximum it can pull or the max weight I can put on it? I have no idea what the rig wieghs but it's probably just over that, maybe more.

Last one, can I put brakes on it?

TIA....

·
Broke Bastard
4,117 Posts
You have to use magnet lights. The lights on the dolly are for pulling when empty.

You cant have any more than 2' of anything hanging past the lights.

When pulling a rig, have the turn table unlocked. Also, have your steering wheel on the towed rig unlocked.

Dont worry about the licence plate. Throw it away if you want.

I dont know about the weight capacity.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
i pull my junk, but i usually use the dolly for the money shot!!!:eek: take that bitch!!!!:D :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
you don't have to run any magnetic lights on tow dollies here

in calif.

keep the license plate/registration... it's required.

The "turntable" feature should be unlocked. (my guess is the

locking feature is for loading/unloading)

I've hauled fullsize 1/2 ton pickups, small pickups, jeeps, cars,

you name it.

I wouldn't put a 3/4 ton pick up on a tow dolly though....

Brakes... if you can make the parts fit, go ahead. if you

need any reference info for parts, send me an email. I do

alot of trailer work, and have some connections.

--Sherpa

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Do not put brakes on it.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
You'll find the Master Tow Dolly specs here

I have the model 80 THD. Just noticed they have changed specs, as I have the 14" tires, but the two smaller tires USED to have 13" wheels on them.

Yep, 3500 is the GVWR of the towed vehicle. Very conservative.

From the Carlisle web site, the ST215/70 - 14 LRC tires are rated at 1760 each. So less the trailer weight (550) pounds, gives approximately a 3000 pounds load range. Ya, so I haul my heavy FJ40 Land Cruiser on it. Note I have load range "C" tires..... with the "B" it would really be pushing it.

DRM -- why no brakes on the tow dolly? Seriously I was thinking of adding brakes to mine (it is an option), as with a loaded cruiser and camping gear I have an additional 6000 pounds! I can tell the difference stopping!!!

Here in TEXAS tow dollys do not need registration, nor plates. Uh, wonder if I'll have any problems heading out of state?

Uh... really belongs down in the TOWING forum. :)

Tom :usa:

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,812 Posts
roundrocktom said:
Uh... really belongs down in the TOWING forum.
;)

I used one last week because I was too lazy to go get my big gooseneck. It pulled REAL easy. 3 things I noticed.

1. Sharp turns cause the fenders of the dolly to get very close to the car. Any larger vehicles I would be careful making sharp turns.

2. It was only rated at 45 mph. :confused: Not sure why. Towed fine at 70. :shaking:

3. With my dually I could not see the damn thing. Backing up was on the list of thing your not suppose to do with it. I tried and it was NOT easy. Hard to keep something you can't see straight. :mad:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
yarddog said:
crappy pic but you get the idea
Dude, that thing looks like it was made with an old boat trailer. The tounge looks longer than on any of the ones I've seen.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
On the brakes - it just seems to me to be very dangerous considering the pivot on the dolly... I could see the brakes not being set right and things getting REAL squirrelish at the wrong time :(

I had an X-Uhaul tow dolly for several years that saw MANY miles pulling everything under the sun. Wish I had never sold it - came in real handy even after I had a trailer.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
pcorssmit said:

Dude, that thing looks like it was made with an old boat trailer. The tounge looks longer than on any of the ones I've seen.

Pete
Looks normal to me. And the tongue *has* to be long - remember, the front tires go on the pads, but the FRONT BUMPER of many cars stick WAY forward of that, and unless you go straight - the towed vehicle's front bumper would be all up in the towing vehivle's rear bumper.

·
Hophead
77,714 Posts
Just curious...what do people see as the advantage in tow-dolly-ing a rig vs flat towing?? I guess it would be handy if you busted up the front of your rig but other than that?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
DRM you didnt even see that we brought the tow dolly and came got the lincoln did ya? i am glad we bought it it is a handy little thing to have laying around.

Toddy

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
ToyToddy said:
DRM you didnt even see that we brought the tow dolly and came got the lincoln did ya? i am glad we bought it it is a handy little thing to have laying around.

Toddy

Was that it? lol I miss that thing :(

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
DRM said:

Looks normal to me.
Guess its just the angle of the pic then. OK, it looks better if I squint a little.

As for the tow bar vs flat towing, at least as far as the RV crowd is concerned, it allows you to tow an automatic tranny front wheel drive car without any special equiptment on the car (specifically an oil pump for the trans).

Pete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts