Pirate 4x4 banner

Any difference Detroit / detroit Gov Lock

1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  uglyscout 
#1 ·
I´m in the work with my 14 bolts rear form a M1008 , open the 14 and see a system like a locker but it seems to me like a limit slip
i asume is the detroit govlock from cucv

Who knows about any difference or no difference ?

Thats why the detroit 14 is cheap, becacuse it work like a EZ, without taking apart the carrier?

Some weackness on that detroit, some performance?

Just go spool or MIG locker?

ideas, feedbacks

Tanks

#8 ·
oK, I can welded, any way you can weld all axles if you want go crazy with a mig, but is the Detroit Gov lock a LSD or just a bad dream or copy of a full no spin locker

M1008 sepc´s say´s DETROIT and i don´t know any Detroit LSD

You can search all you want about 14 b Welede but no shit for cucv with really deep info

#10 ·
All the M1008s had Detroits and 4.56s gears. The detroit for the 14 bolt is cheaper because it is a drop-in style. The 14 bolt ff has a big carrier so Detroit re-uses it, just like they do with Rockwells.

The only CUCVs that had gov-locks is the m1009 blazers in the 10 bolts

#11 ·
I ran 39.5 swamps in '01 with 4.10's and a gov-lock. Never broke anything. I ran 44's last year with a detroit and 5.13's and broke 3 shafts. I also changed from standard to auto in '02 and I think the standard's gonna be harder on parts. The engine stayed the same;

So, if you're saying a gov-lock won't stand up you're wrong. Just don't expect it actually lock the axles at the same rpm and don't actually count on it to lock the axles at all. It doesn't work until you've got some serious RPM in the carrier either. Also, the detroit is referred to as a no-spin, which would be the same style unit found in rockwells, eatons and larger dana's (highway trucks with 44,000# rears)

#12 ·
MR4WD said:
I ran 39.5 swamps in '01 with 4.10's and a gov-lock. Never broke anything. I ran 44's last year with a detroit and 5.13's and broke 3 shafts. I also changed from standard to auto in '02 and I think the standard's gonna be harder on parts. The engine stayed the same;

So, if you're saying a gov-lock won't stand up you're wrong. Just don't expect it actually lock the axles at the same rpm and don't actually count on it to lock the axles at all. It doesn't work until you've got some serious RPM in the carrier either. Also, the detroit is referred to as a no-spin, which would be the same style unit found in rockwells, eatons and larger dana's (highway trucks with 44,000# rears)

GRADE 12 BOLTS???:confused:

#15 ·
MR4WD said:

Eat a bag of dicks lunchbox. FNG...
Damn touchy aren't we...........Hold on here he probable doesn't know what a FNG is,,,, but he does read enough to know what grade 12 means///////LOL////////

Just call him a newbie bitch...

Now to your dilemma... Of course you broke shit, you finally had traction and we all know traction equal action.

#16 ·
If i understand we are in front of a Detroit Gov lock type that is really a limit slip diferential,

IS NOT A REAL DETROIT

This part is not very clear "Also, the detroit is referred to as a no-spin, which would be the same style unit found in rockwells, eatons and larger dana's (highway trucks with 44,000# rears)"

THAT`S A REAL DETROIT

Any other for me is just a waste of time and traction;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.