Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has any specific experience with this Drill/Mill

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0517&site=grizzly

Yes Harbor Freight sells a similar model, but the Grizzly unit comes with stand, little better quality and hopefully better service. I've been lurking and searching on the home machinist sites, but this unit hardly qualifies as a mill.

What I expect to do with it
  • Notch Tube
  • drill accurate holes
  • create slotted holes in .120 material
  • maybe the occasional steering arm or flat-top knuckle

What I don't expect to do
  • Any precision milling

I've looked at the next few models up, with are bench top mill/drills. They take up a lot of space and come in at a grand, for that price I'll find a deal on used knee-mill, but I do not have the space.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think you could drill decent holes with that. I'd be surprised if you were satisfied with it for any type of side load operation like slotting holes or surfacing with a flycutter.

I have an old '70's Jet mill-drill POS that I inherited from my grandpa and it just irritates me every time I try to feed the stock sideways. Decent drill press, but not much of a mill. Doesn't even have table travel locks.

So in short, the x-y table is nice for centering up your work under the drill bit, but don't expect it to feed the work into a cutter very well.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
The one thing I will say about grizzly is the qualities hit and miss, some stuffs great, somes not.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I still would go with a Smithy Machine.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
That looks exactly like the shitty drill press I bought for $15 (used). It drills pretty well, but I don't know how well it would hold up for any milling. Not good would be my guess.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Ditto, I bought brand new drill press for ~$80 BUCKS THAT LOOKS exactly like what you have pictured there...add that sliding mill table or whatever it is, and VOILA...same thing...although I woudl hope that the one pictured can run slower than my drill press...

Like was said I wouldnt expect to do anything "precision" with it...

HTH

MJ

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Most important to me is a drill that turns slow enough, under 100 rpm. Most cheap models run 300 rpm and up, no good once you start getting into holes bigger than 1/4 inch. Ya ya, you can do it but it kills drill bits.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
That thing is designed to position your drill points easily. Not to take side loads.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
All the x-y table allows is for a series of "precision located holes". I.e. drill a hole, move 1", drill another. In reality using a proper layout ruler and a metal punch will let you do that.

For SLOTTING material... I would not recommend it. I use an "old timers" trick of two punches held together. They are just a little shy of 1/4" apart. With the two punches next to each other, I drop the tip of one punch into a previous marked hole. Then smack the next one... so on down a scribed line. Once I get all the punch marks in a row, I drill out with drill (15/64"). Then using a little flat spring steel (hard steel) punch that is about 15/16" x 1/2" I bust the web out between holes. Clean it up with a file, and nice slot 1/4" wide when I am done.

Ya, with a milling machine I still drill holes (speeds things up), but let the mill do the final pass rather than a rectangle punch... still for occasional work the old fashioned way works pretty good.

My old 1930's (?? flat leather belt) drill press has a #1 MT... too dang small, but low speed is something like 100 rpm. Slow enough I can crank a 1" drill through steel plate.

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
I used my $15 drill press to drill 3/4" and 1" holes all the time. :confused: It doesn't seem to be dulling the drill bits too fast.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Same with mine...although I do use quite a bit of cutting fluid (in my case gear oil) and I have fingered out the correct amount of pressure to use, that is key as well.

SPeeds on mine arent ideal...but its not blowing though my bits either...and I have used certain ones quite a bit.

MJ

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Maine Jeepah said:
Same with mine...although I do use quite a bit of cutting fluid (in my case gear oil) and I have fingered out the correct amount of pressure to use, that is key as well.

SPeeds on mine arent ideal...but its not blowing though my bits either...and I have used certain ones quite a bit.

MJ
OK so.... slower the better , no ? sure 1/8 doesnt matter, let 'er rip, but big stuff is nicer goin slow, isnt it ? I might be wrong tho, after all, I am a canuck :flipoff2:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Tool life is more than just the speed at which it turns. More important is rigidity of everything involved. I had a 1 1/4" drill in a lathe with the part (12L40 machinable alloy) running ~700 rpm. I ground it myself with enough relief I could feed it pretty fast.

Which bring me to tool geometry. The best way to extend a drills life and cut faster is to split the tip. That is to take the ridge in between the two side of the drill and make a second cutting edge to minimize the amount of the drill that is just pushing through the material not cutting. Takes some practice with a good grinder but it pays off over time.

Finally you need some type of coolant/cutting oil. Use a cutting oil of some type. There are some that are meant to be mixed with water (O.I.L.-oil in last) which work pretty good for most machining operations.

HTH

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
You couldn't give me a million split point bits. they walk too much.

Optimum cutting speed for a 1" bit in mild steel is 240rpm. 1/2" in mild steel is 480rpm.

Reaming a hole the speed is 1/2 drilling speed.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Toyota_Jim said:
How do you figure? By splitting the point they become center cutting, and therefore they would cut before they could walk.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Magoo said:
Tool life is more than just the speed at which it turns. More important is rigidity of everything involved. I had a 1 1/4" drill in a lathe with the part (12L40 machinable alloy) running ~700 rpm. I ground it myself with enough relief I could feed it pretty fast.

Which bring me to tool geometry. The best way to extend a drills life and cut faster is to split the tip. That is to take the ridge in between the two side of the drill and make a second cutting edge to minimize the amount of the drill that is just pushing through the material not cutting. Takes some practice with a good grinder but it pays off over time.
HTH
I buy split tip bits from Ace, they kick ass. I abuse mine and they keep cutting, cannot say enough about them. I bought a regular high speed steel bit for cage work as I thought my Ace bit was fried. What a waste of money, the split tip with 40 holes (not all with cutting oil) still drilled a better hole.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Toyota_Jim said:

Optimum cutting speed for a 1" bit in mild steel is 240rpm. 1/2" in mild steel is 480rpm.

Reaming a hole the speed is 1/2 drilling speed.
a split( relief cutted tip) will out do any standard drill bit and will center better than a standard tip no questions asked if you still disagree you have some problem with you split piont drills and or have a lot of run out in the drill press quill bearings. i have found a drill bit set that has a life time warrenty( no joke) and they cut and last longer than the comparable snapon bits, they are called turbo max and have a second relief valley cut into the face of the bit and they center with a hand drill with out a problem. i would recondend these over any other becuase of the life time warrenty and the fact that they are the best ones i have ever used.

Cliff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts