Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 Ford E350 motorhome chassis with a carburated 460. The in-tank electric fuel pumps will run only when the start circuit is energized (key in start position with starter engaged). Starts and runs for 10 or 15 seconds untill the float bowls are drained. I have changed the ignition switch and the fuel pump relay with no positive results. Any mechanics advice or links for wireing diagrams will be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
oil pressure switch?

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
rewire the pump to run from Keyed power, or get out the multi meter...

or... is there a possibility that that rig was efi at one time, and was converted to a bigblock gasser?

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
sorry i couldnt say more last night, any way 85 where carbs and i think they used a oil pressure switch to keep the fuel pumps running after you release the key.you dont want to wire it to keyed power cause if it stalled it could flood the carb and increase the chance for an engine fire.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I replied on FTE also..
There is an oil pressure switch, and an inertia switch in the power in run circut.

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
I seem to recall that some ford trucks have an inertial switch somehwere around the trans hump, designed to shut off the fuel pumps in the event of a sudden stop, but they can also be triggered by being kicked. Not sure what engines and years, though.
-John

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
jaluhn said:
I seem to recall that some ford trucks have an inertial switch somehwere around the trans hump, designed to shut off the fuel pumps in the event of a sudden stop, but they can also be triggered by being kicked. Not sure what engines and years, though.
-John
I had a 95 that had the re-set button behind the passenger side kick panel under the dash. I think it was supposed to shut the fuel pump off in case of crash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts