Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically for accurate shooting? I hesitate to say a bench gun, but more along the lines of accurizing your hunting rifle? I have often thought about doing that sort of thing myself and have read about it online, seen it on TV, but I do much better with a book in front of me. Something along the beginner how too's would probably do the best for me. I am interested in bedding the action and barrel or floating the barrel and bedding the action. I would also like something to cover fitting the rifle properly and the proper hold. Fitting and holding made a giagantic difference in my piston and shotgunning, but last night at the range I just couldn't get a good hold on my rifle. Still the gun shot really well and I got the scope dialed in, so I am ready for hunting season.

Oh, I should not I am shooting a Remington 700 ADL, but would prefer the book to be general.

Thanks!

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Accurizing the factory rifle Covers bolt, lever, pump, but some good info.

Regarding how to hold properly, do you know/enderstand natural point of aim?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Natural point of aim refers to the point that you aim at if you were to pick the rifle up in a relaxed position and aim it, disregarding the target...kinda like a "home position" for your body while holding the rifle...

You should then position your whole body to aim at the target, instead of twisting your body around.

EDIT: WIKI
Natural point of aim is a shooting skill where the shooter minimizes the effects of body movement on the firearm's impact point. Along with proper stance, sight picture and trigger control, it forms the basis of marksmanship.

To achieve natural point of aim, the shooter settles into position with the eyes closed, opening them after ensuring the position is comfortable and the rifle is resting in the stance without applying any muscle tension. If the sights are not resting on the desired point of impact, the shooter adjusts the position by repeating the same steps until the sights rest on the target.

Natural point of aim is not achieved if the shooter must adjust their stance so the sight picture is on target by applying pressure to the firearm. One of the main advantages of natural point of aim is that it minimizes fatigue when shooting a long course of fire. Over time, the shooter learns to assume the correct position quickly, allowing for accurate fire immediately.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Basically its how the body points at a target.
When teaching marksmanship its one of the four components: steady hold, sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeze.

Steady hold is just what it sounds like, how do you form and maintain a solid shooting position? The properway is to utilize the bodies natural point of aim.

Wether its prone, seated, kneeling, or standing you need to determine what your NPA is. I know we are talking hunting and not competition but the principle still holds.
Your head should rest comfortably on the stock.
Your eye should be aligned with the sights.
None firing hand should be close to the receiver, versus further out. If you can actually get your upper arm close to your side and elbow on your hip, better. But again in hunting probably wont work. Firing handgrasps the 'pistol grip and pulls the rifle into the pocket of the shoulder. Tight grip, but not squeezing it to death. Elbow positioned naturally, dont try and hold it up parrallel to the ground.

Now what you want to do is to ensure the weapon is unloaded. Find something to use a sighting target. Close your arms and shoulder the weapon and point at the target. Now open your eyes. if you are not looking straight through the sights, do the same step a few times. If your eye still isnt aligned with the sights you probably want to look into a new stock. If your using a scope, maybe different height rings will help.
If your eye is sight aligned, is the weapon pointing at the target? If not, move your feet to reposition your body and repeat.
Practice this a lot and you should be able to get so you have confidence that your could hit a target at 50m without even having to open your eyes and sight in.

I can pretty much drop to the prone and be on the money with an M16a2. I need more practice with Kneeling. That position has just never been comfortable for me and was always my low scoring area for EIC matches.

One last time, I know hunting isn't the same as competition because of the total un certainty of where your target will appear, but if you better understand how the rifle fits your body and where it points most comfortably it might help.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I understand what you guys are talking about. In my mind I call that fit, probably wrongly.

The gun shoulders as you describe, I made sure of that when I put it together. Long story short I bought a never used action and barrel from a friend of mine and put it on a stock I bought off of ebay, then added a 3x9 Leupold to it. When I shoulder the gun, I can open my eyes and I'll be looking through the scope at the target.

The problem may lie in the fact I am shooting off sand bags. I have never been comfortable shooting off bags and I think the reason is I am just adjusting my upper body to the target while the rilfe is on the bag, sometimes just my shoulders. I either need to adjust my entire body or set the bags up better.

I am going again tomorrow morning, so I can try a few of the things mentioned here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts