Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the sounds of it, the 22RE in my 85 4Runner is about to give up the ghost at 325,000 miles. The once only-noisy-at-cold-starts engine is now noisy at all speeds, and progressively getting worse at a worrisome rate. As much as I would love to rebuild it myself, unfortunately, my work schedule simply won't allow me the time to do it in time for the 'wheeling trips this summer, the following summer, and probably a few of the following summers. :mad:

I'm in the Bay Area and wondering if there are any engine rebuilders (any shops or individuals) in the Bay/Sac areas that any of you would recommend. I'm looking for someone who actually knows what he's doing, but who isn't out to charge me an arm and a leg and a left nut. I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium for GOOD work, but I'm not willing to pay ANYTHING for a "rebuild" that's going to leave me stranded in the middle of the 'Con. I want it done right the first time, because I don't have the time to fawk around trying to live with the consequences of being a cheapskate and paying some non-English-speaker to mix and match used parts with the hopes that they'll hold together long enough for me to just part with my money and drive around the block before it coughs a piston out the side of the engine.

Any referrals or recommendations or advice would sure be appreciated!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Orinda. Exploring my options, and wondering how much it's gonna cost me too. I built the Swift GTI motor that's in my Samurai while I was living in Phoenix, but I don't even know which machine shops in this area are reputable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts