Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got my 87 runner that needs the IFS worked on. Nothing major but the CV boots are ripped and there is no telling how long the PO ran it like that. Plus I think I should go ahead and just replace all wear items on the front end. Bearings, bushings all that good stuff. It feels kinda sloppy.

So, then my brother in law tells me he can get his hands on a solid axle out of an 85 for dirt cheap.
HMMM. This is even better except that I think this is a project that I would rather not tackle myself. I know, I should do it myself but I dont have the time and Im ready to get this truck on the road.

What would be a reasonable price to pay someone (experienced) just for the labor?

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
3-4 Thousand, It is not that hard to do and you can do all of the front spring hangers before you have to touch the IFS. Having the axle is just a small part of what you need. You will also need to get springs, steering shocks and shock hoops or mounts. All Pro sells a complete kit for doing it, it is a bit pricey but if you do not hat the tools of know how on fabing stuff it is a pretty decent way to go. If you search on this board the answers are there and they go back along ways to people like me who did not have the benefit of buying off the shelf products!!!! Members of this BB are going to flame the hell out of you for this post, just tell them to :flipoff2: off!!!!!

http://www.allprooffroad.com/

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
if you get all the parts, buy me a round trip ticket outta sfo on the weekend, gimme $400 and feed me, ill do it(i need a big air compressor and 220volts too):D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not worried about the flames, just the flamers in here:flipoff2:.

I can get the whole set up off the other truck. So Im not gonna be hurting for parts. Its the stuff that has to be fabbed that will hold me back. I know there are plenty of how to's on the board. My problem is TIME. National Security Level Orange has us working 6 days a week from now till ? So time is what I dont have. Id really like to see this truck running down the road. I know some guys that can do the job. I just dont want to over pay.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
f-250 shock mounts from ford are under 15 bucks, that can cut down on shock mount cost, if you can use them, im not to sure about the toyota's, but for 15 bucks or less you cant beat them

wes

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Where are u at?

A friend and I may be willing to do it if you provide a place to sleep and food...gas...and we'll do it for a small chunk of change - a far cry from anything a shop will ask for.

I'm getting from your post that you're kind of looking for someone to do the SAS for you. Maybe i'm getting the wrong idea?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Also...what are u trying to do? Is it a wheeler mobile? Lift desired? tires desired? What vehicle is it? Is it a DD? You want everything all-pro?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Violent, are you in Uvalde or College Station?

The truck is an 87 runner. For now Im just going to use it as a dd until we find out what they will let us do on the rivers. So Im planning on just going stock. That will however leave me room to lift as desired in the future.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I live just south of Uvalde. I go to school in college station.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
RonMan said:
Violent, are you in Uvalde or College Station?

The truck is an 87 runner. For now Im just going to use it as a dd until we find out what they will let us do on the rivers. So Im planning on just going stock. That will however leave me room to lift as desired in the future.
you cant really go stock on an SAS because of the two different steering styles. You gunna have to run 3-4 inches of lift to make crossover clear the frame

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Violent,

How many of these have you done? When will you be home from school? Maybe we can get together when you are home again and talk about this?

I work in Uvalde. Could make this real easy.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
hahahaha. Ok.

ANyway, yeah, i'm in carrizo springs, 40 miles south of you and i'm home right now up until the 18th. I've got fridays off next semester so my weekends are somewhat long.

Me and my buddy both go to A&M college station but we'd be more than happy to take a weekend anytime to earn a few bucks and help ya out.

We've got a welder, torch...shop....pretty much anything we'd need.

I'll pm you my number and you can give me a call if you'd like...but yeah, it would be really easy to get this done.

EDIT: me and my buddy have done 1 toyota sas (mine) 1 chevy sas (buddys) and 1 ford sas (friends).

We're both decent welders but my friend is better and he does all my really important welding.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crazy shit, I live in Carrizo. Ill send you a PM. Let me see how quick I can get my hands on the parts and we'll talk.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thats jacked. I would have never thought.

What is your name? Maybe you've seen my POS around.

Used to be white. Black now. prolly the only toyota in town with swampers....its down now though.

Do you know Earl? dodge on 38s? Chewy? K5 on 39s? Jonley? Yellow ford on 38s?

·
Registered
80 Posts
This place is by my house and they charge $1200, you supply the axle. This price includes, hanger, shackles, waggy springs, steering, labor and everything else but the axle and driveshaft. I know this place is a ways away from you so this is just a quote.

www.aggressive-offroad.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts