Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,791 Posts
Just a thought but, can't you still use your old maker when you want a whole pot and just use the K475 (which seems to be most of the time) when you want a cup?
yep, we have 2 machines. i use the keurig during the work week and the coffee maker during the weekend. anything over 8oz requires multiple pods to taste right.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Ok, I recently acquired a K475 (new). I drink a cup of coffee most days and my wife can't stand coffee. I thought this would be better than using my 13 year old basic coffee maker. I could just brew a cup and be done.

This K475 came with several refillable pods of varying brands (Keurig and others) for using your own coffee which is what I wanted. I have tried a varying amount of grounds and how much I grind the coffee beans and the coffee just doesn't taste the same as with a regular brewer. I have gotten it close enough that I am ok with it. The part that bugs me is making a pot of coffee. It's like freaking ice tea in color and weak as hell. I don't drink my coffee strong, but this is pretty lame. It will only make 4 cups at a time which I can live with, but the strength is pathetic. It makes sense seeing how much grounds it uses. When brewing a pot there is no setting for strong. I wouldn't care since I usually just drink a cup, but we do have family/friends over some and make a pot of coffee. Being able to make a pot of coffee would be nice. Is there something I am missing? Any of you experts know any tricks that I should try?

At this point, cleaning the refillable Kcup is slightly less work than cleaning the pot from my old coffee maker. The convenience is only marginal. I am trying to decide if this thing is even worth it.
I use a Keurig strictly for convenience. I KNOW there are better ways to make coffee, but for me, nothing is as easy.

I don't think I have ever "cleaned" my machine. Maybe I'm just gross.

When I have company, they make a cup, just like I would. Put the pod in. Press button. 20 seconds later, take cup, and enjoy.

Trying to use it for making a pot of coffee would never even cross my mind.

If I wanted to use my own grind, I wouldn't opt for a Keurig. And honestly, with all the commercially available types of K-Cups on the market, anybody can find ONE that fits their taste. If I'm into coffee enough where I care on a bean level I am using a french press or any one of a dozen science lab looking coffee makers on the market.

Now I do have a grinder and a OXO coffee maker for when I have the time, but they rarely get used, because I want the instant gratification and I don't want the clean up.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
please tell me you aren't trying to make a pot of coffee with a single serving machine.
No, this one clearly shows it can make a pot and has the setting for it. But the refillable Kcup only holds slightly over 2 TBLSP of grounds. The non Keurig one will hold 3. Just seems like a fatal flaw on Keurigs part.

Just a thought but, can't you still use your old maker when you want a whole pot and just use the K475 (which seems to be most of the time) when you want a cup?
I really don't want to store 2. That was the attractiveness of this one. It does both.

·
Premium Member
13,758 Posts
I've never been a coffee drinker until I realized last year that I can sit in the office and drink coffee and bullshit with the boss for an hour at a time and nobody cares. We have a Keurig in the office and I liked the convenience so I bought one for home too. Now that it's getting colder I've started drinking it again.

I'm no coffee snob but Starbucks is burned garbage. Fuck them and their piss water. Their k cups are no better 9r worse than getting it fresh from the shop.

We use Costco k cups and buy them by the case, usually 4 cases at a time it works out to $.24 a cup. I supply the creamer (cheap wallyworld powder) and I mix my own powdered creamer with Nestle quick chocolate powder for a quick mocha.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Had one, sucked big time. Plugged up all the time, slow, especially with the tastiest cups - Lavazza. Threw it away after dicking with it for a year and replaced it with a Bunn pour-over. Insert filter with grounds, pour one whole pot's worth of water in, and in like 1.5 minutes you have a full pot of good coffee.

·
Registered
408 Posts
use a Mr. Coffee single serve machine for hot Tea.

Convenience is key, and I just buy regular tea bags more or less use it to heat the single cup of water for me. quicker and easier than a tea kettle or even the microwave. If i feel like something else i like that i can use loose leaf tea in it as well.

Wife uses it for coffee and hot cider. beats the heck out of a drip maker considering she is the only one that drinks coffee in the house.

she either uses normal coffee grounds or buys store brand k-cups for her coffee.

·
Registered
24,653 Posts
keurig... not a fan..

cold brew your coffee and add hot water. Less acid and better flavor
Pretty much this. I go back and forth over cold brew and using my BUN coffee pot when I am out of cold brew. I add some simple syrup to my CB and it's soo much better.

A friend makes it by the gallons and serves it on nitro. It's a slice of heaven.

·
Premium Member
6,791 Posts
No, this one clearly shows it can make a pot and has the setting for it. But the refillable Kcup only holds slightly over 2 TBLSP of grounds. The non Keurig one will hold 3. Just seems like a fatal flaw on Keurigs part.

I really don't want to store 2. That was the attractiveness of this one. It does both.
Doesn't matter what the machine says you can do. One k cup is good for an 8oz cup max. General knowledge calls for 2tbls per 8oz of water.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Doesn't matter what the machine says you can do. One k cup is good for an 8oz cup max. General knowledge calls for 2tbls per 8oz of water.
The K475 is the piece of shit that I had, and it takes a much larger k-cup for filling the whole karafe. My Bunn pourover is still 10x faster.

·
Registered
24,653 Posts
The K475 is the piece of shit that I had, and it takes a much larger k-cup for filling the whole karafe. My Bunn pourover is still 10x faster.
I have had my bunn going on 15+ years. Parents and sister have also had theirs for even longer unless they have lost a couple since they have more people in the house. For ~$100 a Bunn costs and nearly nothing to fail that the people that buy into this Kcup nonsense amazes me.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
we've had one for like 10 years.

the same one
used every day. The key is only to feed it filtered water or it will scale up inside and fail. We have a RO undersink deal.

Never buy k cups because they suck. Use beans, grind them espresso fine, use the reusable k cups with the stainless mesh sides.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
I have had my bunn going on 15+ years. Parents and sister have also had theirs for even longer unless they have lost a couple since they have more people in the house. For ~$100 a Bunn costs and nearly nothing to fail that the people that buy into this Kcup nonsense amazes me.
had a bunn fail in less than 5 years at work.

heating element failed. parts to fix it were over half the cost of a new one.

·
Registered
24,653 Posts
had a bunn fail in less than 5 years at work.

heating element failed. parts to fix it were over half the cost of a new one.
I can see that happening. Leaving it plugged in and element on can evaporate the water and kill the element. I unplug or shut mine off most weekends since I rarely drink coffee on weekends.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
I can see that happening. Leaving it plugged in and element on can evaporate the water and kill the element. I unplug or shut mine off most weekends since I rarely drink coffee on weekends.
it was a model that was designed to be left on.
had an internal reservoir.
You poured water in the top and it already had hot water in it's tank.
thermal carafe and not a hot plate. Prosumer if you will.

it did get shut off on weekends.

fact is that all of this shit is built in china for the least amount of money possible.
just the world we live in.

·
Registered
794 Posts
we've had one for like 10 years.

the same one
used every day. The key is only to feed it filtered water or it will scale up inside and fail. We have a RO undersink deal.

Never buy k cups because they suck. Use beans, grind them espresso fine, use the reusable k cups with the stainless mesh sides.
I have one of the OG keurig, before the v2. 0 machines

I use tap water and have never cleaned it. Ever. It's gotta be 6 yrs old and we use it for 5 or 6 cups a day. I haven't died and the machine hasn't either.
The only downside is the cost of the cups. Expensive but worth the convenience IMO.

·
Registered
24,653 Posts
it was a model that was designed to be left on.
had an internal reservoir.
You poured water in the top and it already had hot water in it's tank.
thermal carafe and not a hot plate. Prosumer if you will.

it did get shut off on weekends.

fact is that all of this shit is built in china for the least amount of money possible.
just the world we live in.
Yeah...that's how all Bunn's operate :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
Yeah...that's how all Bunn's operate :rolleyes:
well if that's the case, then you'd think they would have designed it so the element wouldn't be damaged by the water evaporating.

oh, and it's more than likely a PTC element, so as it's heat rises so does it's resistance, so even if it's dry that shouldn't kill it.

how about it was just a piece of shit that was made in china, and not worth the $150 price tag it carried?

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
I have one of the OG keurig, before the v2. 0 machines

I use tap water and have never cleaned it. Ever. It's gotta be 6 yrs old and we use it for 5 or 6 cups a day. I haven't died and the machine hasn't either.
The only downside is the cost of the cups. Expensive but worth the convenience IMO.
Running mine on tap water too, no filters, don't even bother... its fine. 2-3 cups per day. Mine is several years old at this point (3-4?)The water is exceptionally hard here so time will tell.

Stooping to new levels of 'frugalness' being cash poor since my move I'm only buying the 'great value' brand cups. Decent and cheap.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Used to like the Keurig. We went through 3 of them in 5 years.

Bought a Bunn. 3 minutes for a full pot of coffee, no more cleaning out the little basket for each cup (using my own).

61 - 80 of 80 Posts