Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ROCPUNK
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am retiring from the Military soon and was looking at changing careers.

I am looking in to Machining Tech(CAD,CNC,manual, etc) at SDCC. Looks like they have one of the better programs out there. I think it would fun and challenging.

My questions are:

1- is there a need for machinists in SD?
2- are any companies offering a work/study deal?
3- is there a glut of shops in SD?
4- what about opening a small shop(in a few years)?

Most of my back ground lately doesn't involve building things. The opposite in fact :smokin: But i have some moderate+ fab skills and engine skills(BIG diesel).

Thanks in advance for any info:flipoff2:

-Travis

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Retire, take it easy & specialize in machining something no one else does or hates doing.

The other half of my family did this over 60yrs ago & are now the top makers of oil rig drill bits in Houston. Thanks to my Grandfather starting something part time & being the only guy making these huge bits. Now my Uncle & his family runs the business. Needless to say the move by my Uncle to expand the company has made it a success & world wide.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Travis,

I would check with Solar Turbines. They used to have an apprenticeship program for machinists.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Or possibly GKN aerospace in el cajon. Or just stick to blowing shit up which is much more fun! Or when you mess up a piece you can blow it up.:D

·
ROCPUNK
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Retire, take it easy & specialize in machining something no one else does or hates doing.

The other half of my family did this over 60yrs ago & are now the top makers of oil rig drill bits in Houston. Thanks to my Grandfather starting something part time & being the only guy making these huge bits. Now my Uncle & his family runs the business. Needless to say the move by my Uncle to expand the company has made it a success & world wide.
That was kinda my 5 year plan. Take it easy, go to school, find a job, open a business...

I could be so lucky! Thanks!

Travis,

I would check with Solar Turbines. They used to have an apprenticeship program for machinists.
I will do some research on them tomorrow. Thanks!

Or possibly GKN aerospace in el cajon. Or just stick to blowing shit up which is much more fun! Or when you mess up a piece you can blow it up.:D
I will check then out too. Thanks Chris! And yeah blowing shit is fun and hilarious most of the time. Unless its me blowing up!:mr-t:

If i blew up up every thing I messed up... I would blow up a lot of shit:eek:

·
ROCPUNK
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ok I've done some research and it looks like you have to get hired on at the "company" before you can do a work study through SDCC.

It looks like I may be doing this for fun, more than a career change. Unless some one else has done something like this and can give me pointers?

is there even employment available in SD county? Does it pay enough to live on?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
We have an apprenticeship opening up over at NAB for inside machinists. 3 year program and end up with a journeyman level cert. Not sure how much CNC training will be touched upon though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts