Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to weld a bunch of aluminum panels for storage boxes and dash pieces. I have a millermatic 250x and was wondering how good of a weld I could expect from the spool gun, before I go and purchase one. Any one have any pictures????? The aluminum will be 1/8 to 3/16" Diamond plate.
Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
I weld all day long with the spoolmatic on 1/8" to 1/2" aluminum...it works VERY well if you know what you are doing...even if you dont knwo you can fudge it and make it look good...BTW I work on commercial aluminum fishing boats...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I don't have any pictures, but I do have a Miller spoolmatic, and you can easily make really nice looking welds with it. Aluminum welding is quite different than welding steel in that it is very easy to make a very good looking bead that isn't worth crap. For what you are doing though, you should be able to make welds good enough for those boxes and such with just a few minutes practice.

You want to just borrow the spoolmate rather than buy one?
It would atleast give you the chance to try it out, before you buy...

Let me know because if you still need me to, I am plannign to swing by there this weekend.(Although a few more days wound't hurt;) )

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awsome, I have a borrowed one and was amazed at how easy it was to use. I would not have thought welding AL. would be this easy. Now granted I am welding 1/8" and Im shure thinner is harder.
Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts