Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of putting a 350 chevy in my jeep. have the tanny mounted to the engine and the engine mounted in(working on broken bolts on tranny mount), but I could use some tips from those that have done it on a bunch of little things. I didn't keep a lot of the things from the 304 I took out(sold it). having a bit of trouble with power sterring lines....tried original and they didn't bend right to go to the pump and neither did the ones that were on the pump I put in. th wiring itself will be a mess with going from what was in there to a GM HEI system and all the other changes, but I think(hope) we can figure most of that out. any tips from those of you that have done it or things to look out for would be helpfull.

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Donny,

I have done two of these conversions and am just about to finish another one, the pump lines try to use as much rubber line as you can and stay away from the hard lines, use whatever fittings are necessary right at the pump but plumb the rest in rubber. A hydralic shop should be able to change the fittings on the stock hoses to ones that might work better.

The HEI system is a breeze, there will be one large 12 guage wire that went to some part of your old 304 system most likely will be red with a white stripe, hook up the battery and turn the key one and see if the key controls that wire if so connect it to the positive wire on the HEI and you are done.

The big problem you are going to have is cooling it, I went with an 27.5" x 19" Griffin to cool my 415 Small Block.

Oh, block hugger headers with 2.5" outlets will allow you to keep you exhaust inside the frame rails if you want, about 90 bucks a set from summit racing.

Good Luck..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts