Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone can tell me if I can machine out the centre section of my 12 bolt truck rear end to take the larger pinion of a 12 bolt car pinion? which will allow me to run 12 car R&P in place of the truck R&P. I've herd that the weak point of the truck 12 bolt is the smaller pinion bearing and was thinking that doing this would make my rear end stronger. This diff is currently matched up with a Dana 44 in the front of my S-10. I have someone that will do the work for next to nothing just want to make sure it will work first.

·
Registered
135 Posts
that is one weak point of a 12b. the main one is the spider gears though. I'd say your best bet is to find a good deal on a stonger rear end- then sell the one you got.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but the 14 bolt doesn't have the variety of gears that I am looking for, plus they are heavy bastards and have no clearance!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
dana 60

Find you either a used dana 60 and build it up or order a custom dana 60 to your specs from a wide variety of aftermarket companies. That is if you have unlimited amounts of funds to throw at your project for the later:D :D

Eric

·
Registered
101 Posts
Or if you know someone that can build a Dana 70 for your rear, then you have both strength and low gears and disc brakes.:D

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
dana 70 is a low slung bastard too. I'm going the dana 60 route. I already have it under my truck. now all I have to do is find some dana 70 axleshaftx and side gears, then I'll bore my spindles out and run the 70 gear. then I'll have1.5/35spline gear in case with a lot better clearance. :D

-Scott

·
Registered
219 Posts
The pinion is known to be the weak part of them but I've worked in a 4wd shop as well as had/have a few 12 bolts and have never seen one break a pinion. I did gernade the side and spider gears in one that had a posi in it, but it also had 40" tire attached to it and a fat old K5 on top of it. I bought one that had a worn out pinion bearing once too, but other than that I'm very happy with them. In a s-10 I really don't think it will be a issue. They are too light in the rear. I have one in my S-15 with a loc-right in it. I have abused the hell out of it and never had a problem yet. The only other upgrade I'm planning is some disk brakes on it for two reasons. 1) drums suck, and 2) so if I ever break an axle the rotor and caliper will keep it from walking out when I drive her home or back to the trailer. The c-clips are a definate drawback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts