Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a 7.3 PSD rig to haul my junk around but the way things are looking I maybe getting one of the first couple years the PSD was offered.

are their any years particularly to stay away from?

Thanks.

·
Registered
416 Posts
there is not much difference in them except the newer ones added an intercooler and the new you get the higher the hp rating usualy is.
glow plug relays go out all the time.
the 4 bolts that hold the turbo halfs together always back out.
injectors are expensive but thats about it

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've got a 94, the first year of the PSD. I've got very little money in repairs, with the biggest being a water pump. It's starting to develop a skip, so I'll more than l likely replace an injector or two soon unless I sell it. If you get a 5 speed, beware of the clutch. The 94-97 PSDs use a dual mass flywheel design. Pull the inspection cover and check tolerances and the springs if you can. A quick search at thedieselstop will give you all the info you need. Overall I'm very happy with mine, but it's time to get something with more room.

·
Registered
40 Posts
about the only maintenance you'll ever have to do will be what trigger said. clutch, h20 pump, injectors. all the years are all 'basically' the same. when you're searching for one, see if you can find one with the previous stuff already replaced. that might save you $ down the road.

·
Registered
40 Posts
that stuff needs to be replaced whenever it goes bad.:D

really, the water pump will go bad whenever. the clutch-depending on how you drive. injectors will start making the motor skip anywhere around 100K and maybe equal intervals after that. the nice thing is that you can get the pump and the injectors at ford dealers or IHC medium and heavy duty dealers. that makes price bargaining better. if i recall correctly, napa carries the injectors for the earlier years, a lot cheaper than the dealer.

even through all these "problems", i'd still pick a PSD over the chevy or dodge diesel. good choice.

·
Registered
416 Posts
when you do get a 7.3 I would recommend buying a spare cam position sensor and keeping it in the glove box,they seam to go alot,if the truck starts then shuts down or runs for a few minutes then shuts down or wont start at all,change the sensor.easy change(1 min.)and I'd say 8 out of 10 times that is what most 7.3 owners get towed in for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.