Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking for a set of H2's for like a month and i cannot find a break. Ive looked at some new steel wheels and i need a set of 5. The cheapest i can get is a set of Procomp 52 series for like $500 shipped. But, i found these cheap NTW wheels for like under $400 shipped and i was wondering if anyone else has run these and how shitty they are comparatively?

https://www.ntwonline.com/17x9-8x6-5-4-25bs-type-797-black-modular-steel-wheels-18394.html

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I ran a similar set decades ago from them. had them build 16.5" 6 lug wheels when I couldn't find them any where. They were fine.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
a short while back I picked up a very similar looking set of 8 lug steel Procomp 97 wheels as a quick option for new larger tires on my 2000 7.3.

Out of all 5 wheels... none of them would spin even remotely true on a balancing machine. And this is with no tire mounted... :rolleyes:

They would be fine for a slow crawler, but not for a vehicle that has to hit the street at speed.

I've had cheap steel wheels in the past without problems, but I think I'll skip them from now on.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I bought four trail master tm9 15" steel wheels like that for $40ea from 4 wheel parts.

Look like good quality, mounted them, but haven't driven it, or spun them yet

Just your basic China wheel

·
Premium Member
14,256 Posts
The cheapo "not for street use" summit wheels I ordered for $40 each showed up as a nice set of Bart wheels

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Bought 4, one ended up being scratched all to shit on the inside. I told them about it, they sent an extra without my even asking. So I got a decent spare.

been running them for years without issue.

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
I ran them on my Jeep for a few years. Nothing great or horrible to say about them. They are just your basic steel wheel.
Pretty sure these are the same ones my brother runs on his Jeep. They do what he needs for super cheap. He wheels it all over Colorado and daily drives it during the week.

Edit: Hasn't it been NTB since like the 90s? :laughing:

I can hear the old commercial jingle. "N, T Double U, we've got the tires that are right for you!"

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Looking to change from H2 to steel. While they still hold air, the H2's are chipping/cracking around the lip. The OP's link shows the load rating at 2200lb, similar wheels are 3650lb. How much of a problem is the lower load rating?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looking to change from H2 to steel. While they still hold air, the H2's are chipping/cracking around the lip. The OP's link shows the load rating at 2200lb, similar wheels are 3650lb. How much of a problem is the lower load rating?
Does your rig weigh 8800 lbs?

·
Registered
11,391 Posts

·
thhhpptthh!
46,933 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts