Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mr. Lucky
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it practical? Will Advanced adapters sell the parts? I'll call them tomorrow but I wanna know now. I'm not real happy with the 3.8:1 I just installed.

·
Mr. Lucky
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind, This is from their site, shit.

Question: Can I change my Atlas gears to a higher or lower ratio?

Answer: This option is available; however, the parts & labor necessary may not be cost effective. New gears would be required. Items such as bearings, seals, and gaskets would need to be replaced. And shipping and labor costs would also apply. We can quote you on the cost of an upgrade, or the other recommendation we could offer is that you sell your current Atlas and purchase a new one with the desired ratio.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It isn't that hard to do, if you have a new case and wanting to swap gears just order the gears to do it. You can get the seals from your local stores if needed. Look at the cost of a new case versus 800 for new gears and an hour or so of your time for the swap.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
I've rebuilt several 205's and D300's, both of which are very similar. The job is not difficult. But I'm sure if you have a warranty on the case it is void once you do it.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
AA would like to make you think that you should do anything other than what you want to do. The work is relatively easy and if its a new case it does NOT need new bearings and seals. The worst part about taking apart an atlas is the stankin ass gear oil. Other than that it takes basic tools and having a press is helpful but not absolutely necessary. They will try to talk you into sending the case back to them for an input shaft change as well. That takes 30 minutes labor and unless the old input bearing is smoked all you need is the correct input shaft for your case.

What case do you wish you would have gotten? I'm looking for a 3.8 or 4.3driver drop 2 speed to fit a TH400 to trade for an Atlas 4 speed for, with 2.7 2.0 and 5.4 low ranges.

Edit: I did this one in 2011, they were a PITA to order parts from because they didn't want me to do it myself. Once I convinced them to sell me the stuff anyway it went no problem. The amount of money you'll be out on selling your now used case may be about the same as buying the new gears.

a look inside

all done

·
Mr. Lucky
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My case is a 3.8:1 driver drop. Thanks for all the help here good info. It's already been said here but it's a easy gear swap and about $800. I'll know if I'm staying with this 3:8 after my trip to K2.

Dammit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts