Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions for anybody who's done a 14" or more lift on a crewcab 90's-ish ford. Like, did you have to change drive shaft angles, front and rear.

·
Registered
304 Posts
welcome newbie :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
lmfao newbie versus newbie bashing..
anyways yeah 14" of lift, pinion angle yeah i'll say you will.. hmm i haven't done it and that is a ridiculously high lift... show truck?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Show truck? No, I just wanted a badass lift, something bigger than the average. Unfortunately I am already starting to realize I made it too big. When I was researching how high I wanted to go, I looked at a lot of picts of my truck, most had 10" lifts on them. So I figured 10" of lift will be fine. It will sit on top of 40" tires. So I order springs that will raise my truck 10" higher from where it is now. The problem is, people call that a 14" lift, because I'm keeping my rear 4" block (street truck, never will haul stuff). That means a factory 1 ton comes with a 4" lift on the back, I never understood that. So, at $100 an inch (pair), you are already at $400 to keep the truck at factory hieght w/o blocks. Anyways, at 10" of lift, people told me it would be easy to lift, now I'm at 14" and I think it will be a bitch to make drive smooth.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
10" of lift and 40" tires:rainbow: or 14" of lift and 40" tires:rainbow: Just to put it in perspective, I have an 86 F-350 with 6" skyjacker. I run 38.5 with no problem. Since you want to use a 90's style truck. You can fit 40" with the 6" lift, cause the front fenders are more open in the front. 6" with cut outs will fit 42s nice. Just a thought. And mine is a pain in the ass for the girl to climb into. Jumping up to get in your truck gets old fast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I mean 14" of suspension lift. I have a pair of National springs with 14" lift sitting in my garage waiting to go on my truck but now I'm having second thoughts. It would be 14" if I used my rear blocks, but now I'm thinking of not using the blocks and ordering new front springs, I'll end up with a 10" lift. So, it's a big pain getting in and out of the truck huh? is it your daily driver? I'm afraid such a lift will get old as well, but its only my part time truck. I found some guy selling his 97 f350 with a14" lift, I'm going to go check it out and take pictures soon.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Several years ago I used to own a '95 F350 CC PSD 4x4. I was for the most part a playtoy/mud truck/weekend cruiser. At one point I had 10" National Springs front and rear. The rear also had an inverted shackle which was good for about 5" of lift. The front had a custom crossmember/shackle reversal that resulted in just under 5" of lift. The front axle was moved the 2.5" forward and the stock front driveshaft was lengthed 4". The rear shaft had a custom one piece design.

Probably the best mod on the truck was a swapped in D80 so it could run some decent gears (5.13's) for the 44's I was turning. The front axle was a cut and turned (only a few degrees can't recall how much) stock D60 with 5.13's and a Detroit as well. At the time the lowest you could get for the stock Sterling rear was 4.56's.

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
I can't believe you are even asking this question. You are wasting your time and money by throowing such a massive lift on a truck. I see them around the bay area all the time, and I can't help but laugh. I like the look of a lifted truck on some 38's or even up to 44's, as long as the tires fit the lift. With 14" of lift, the 40's are gonna look SMALL, and it will look :rainbow:

Dimitri

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No way, the illusion of lift is greatly dependent on wheel well space. It's all a matter of taste though, I have some picts of 40" tires with big lifts I'll try and post em.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dang, Anybody wanna help me out on this one? I cut and pasted a URL from "my moment of fame" website, it should work, right?

I'll try again....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Flatty said:
I can't believe you are even asking this question. You are wasting your time and money by throowing such a massive lift on a truck. I see them around the bay area all the time, and I can't help but laugh. I like the look of a lifted truck on some 38's or even up to 44's, as long as the tires fit the lift. With 14" of lift, the 40's are gonna look SMALL, and it will look :rainbow:

Dimitri
must be a cali thing, on my many trips to vegas we see tons of just ridiculously lifted excursions and pickups. What can these trucks do other than ride extremely uncomfortably around the city? Take one of them wheelin and its gonna tumble down the hill. To each his own i guess, my advice if any, is to find a very good driveline place...cause you're going to have serious vibration problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts