Pirate 4x4 banner

Anybody seen these knuckles?

3K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  Scott@Rockstomper 
#1 · (Edited)
From http://www.adaptecknuckles.com/

They look like a Dana 60 sized "C", uses Dana 60 ball joints, Dana 44 flat top style outer knuckle and steering arms and accepts Toyota spindles, rotors, brakes, hubs, etc. Can't tell what size shafts/u-joints it'll take though.

It looks like a dead site. About the only link that works goes to Marlin Crawler's.

I found this old thread saying the inners were originally from Redline.

Anybody know more about these?

thanks
--Dan

See less See more
#4 ·
houlster said:

Well that's wierd that the site goes down less than an hour after posting it here.

Anyways, I pulled the pic out of my temp files:

--Dan

Interesting looking. Do you know if they're cast or forged???

#5 ·
Talk about bringing back some old memories, and they were'nt good ones! I have a crappy earlier version of those sitting in a shop down in LA.

I saw Marlin pushing those at the CA4WDConvention a couple years ago. They were a great idea, but so many people were burnt, and now they are cursed.

#8 ·
The inners should be forged, the outters cast but it would be better if they were also forged. Six States has thought about making their own king pin knuckles, but the demand has to be there. So if you guys can help me show the demand maybe I can get the ball rolling again. I know there are a few sets that have been built but I don't know how they are holding up. I'll try and get the test specs, I know they were super strong.

#10 ·
ASH said:
The inners should be forged, the outters cast but it would be better if they were also forged. Six States has thought about making their own king pin knuckles, but the demand has to be there. So if you guys can help me show the demand maybe I can get the ball rolling again. I know there are a few sets that have been built but I don't know how they are holding up. I'll try and get the test specs, I know they were super strong.
Ball's already rolling. Finished parts will be in Moab during EJS. New kingpin knuckles, approximately 20-30% stronger than stock on the inners, approximately twice as strong as stock on the outers. :)

#12 ·
Scott@Rockstomper said:

I've seen those knuckles on the trail, seems like an interesting setup... too bad it's still ball joints. :(
Thats the first thing I thought...why go to all the trouble, and still have ball joints?

Pete

#14 · (Edited)
ROCKTACO said:
Scott are you going to be running these, or someone els?
I don't even know if my own set of the new knuckles that we're working on, will be installed on my truck before EJS. We're busting serious butt at the foundry to have anything done before then (foundry leadtimes are normally 4-6 months!) at all, and my personal suspicion is, by EJS, I won't have time to swap them onto my own truck yet. If I can have them in my hands more than a day before I have to roll out for Moab, I'll put 'em on even if it means I don't sleep.

Incidentally, I've already seen the pattern work that's going into these things, and they're f'n gorgeous so far. I'm gonna feel real bad about actually 'wheeling on 'em instead of putting 'em on a stand to just admire. :)

Edit: In case it wasn't obvious from my prior comments... the new knuckles are kingpin. Balljoints are for D44's. We actually started looking recently at building a kingpin D44 knuckle too, but have run into issues with parts, fitment, and cost, collectively. There will be a swap kit forthcoming to put kingpin 60 knuckles on a 44, though.

#16 ·
Ben Holloway said:
im sorry, i seem to be missing somthing, are you build a knucke kit for a toyota using king pins scott??? im kinda lost
We're building new kingpin Dana 60 knuckles. Inners and outers. Along with that, we're working on swap kits to retrofit them to existing axles (Toy, Ford 9", Dana 44, Dana 60, etc.) so guys can build their own Dana 60 kingpin front end, as well as the ability to build a totally new kingpin Dana 60 front end from the ground up, or a hybrid kingpin Dana 60/whatever front end.

#18 ·
Ben Holloway said:
sounds like quite a good idea, maybe these hybrid axles will start being affordable
Thanks! That's the idea... lots of stuff is affordable if you can do it in smaller pieces. I see a very limited market for $6k+ front axles, but if a guy can spend, say, $1.5-2.5k (plus a weekend's worth of work) to build the same thing (or, in this case, something stronger!) it's a whole lot more affordable. I'm jumping up and down to get some better knuckles in general--with 44's and high steer, I figure it's a matter of time before I wreck my stock Chevy knuckles, and these things are being specifically redesigned to beef the problem areas.

#26 ·
desertCJ said:
Forgive my ignorance...but how is this going to help my dana 44? That means I"m going to have to have a 60 shaft turned down and splined to fit my 44. and unless its' an alloy shaft I'll be twisting inner axles.
Or you can get a bored-out 35 spline 44 carrier, or you can use the Dodge 60 front 30 spline inners, or you can use Ford D50 axleshafts, or you can have alloy axles made, or....

There's a lot of options. Personally, I think it'd be better off to hybridize it with a 9", but I know it's fairly easy to hog out a 44 to 33 spline. Regardless of what knuckles you use, putting a 60 joint on the end of a 44 axle (which is the main advantage to putting 60 knuckles on a 44) will require an oddball axleshaft. The goal to the new knuckles was never to make the specfically for the D44--it was to make them at all, and use them to make cool stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.