Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a bit of research into putting a 3.4 into my 92 SR5 4runner that has a 3.0 in it now...it appears that the block is the same, just a bigger bore. But a huge differance is the heads...4 valves per hole and twin cams....also 9.6 to 1 CR...makes a cool 185 HP stock (compared to 150 for the 3.0) I'm trying to find out about the heads.. are the exaust ports laid out the same as the 3.0? And the intake ports...will a 3.0 intake bolt onto it? If these things work then I think all that would be required to make it work would be to use the 3.4's fuel injectors and maybe have the 3.0's throttle body bored out....Has anybody done this?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not a whole lot of people have done this swap from what I understand, but what I do know is that it is going to cost you a lot of money. You do have the option of a 4.3 that will be stronger and cheaper than your 3.4, but I guess I'll just leave that decision up to you.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
I do not belive the 3.0 and 3.4 share anything the same other than bellhousing pattern. Also the 3.0 uses a distributer and the 3.4 uses coil on plug design

·
Registered
14,442 Posts
tuckn18s said:
Not a whole lot of people have done this swap from what I understand, but what I do know is that it is going to cost you a lot of money. You do have the option of a 4.3 that will be stronger and cheaper than your 3.4, but I guess I'll just leave that decision up to you.
Cheaper maybe but not stronger. Go to Off Road Solutions web site. They do the swaps and sell the wiring harness's. Also, the $$$ you save on transmission adaptors and motor mounts will help make up the difference. I want to do this swap next year.
DMG

·
Banned
88 Posts
Swapping a 3.4L into the 3.0L

I am determined to do this project some time late summer this year in my '92 3.0L V6 4X4 X-cab truck. Here is what I gathered in information. I have to mention here that what I'm stating here is also from my net search and contacts with gentlemen who seem to know what they are talking about.

•The 3VZ-E and the 5VZ-FE are of the same VZ family of engines..meaning the engine block is the same! Therefore, the engine mounts should be a snap if not identical! Check www.toysport.com/techinfo.htm
•The exhaust cross-pipe comes from the right side and that's where the front shaft coming from the transfer case is which means a body lift is needed of at least 2" to clear some space for a customized pipe.
•The oil pan should match (again the engine blocks are the same I learned between the 3VZ-E and the 5VZ-FE). Otherwise, a customized Oil Pan might be needed.
•The 5-speed manual transmission in both engines are the same, it is called R150F for a 4X4 truck with V6 engine.
•My areas of concern are the wiring harness and the gauges, sensors
Thanks all
Zak Z Back!
reach me at [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.