Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a pair of these today to build shackle hangers out of.

Yeah, basically a Jonny Joint but w/ a little twist....

they are Daystar's new "poly flex joint"..............quality looks good, used 9/16" greasable bolts and has a Polueurathane 2 piece sleeve that the ball rotates in.

pretty cool idea.

hadn't seen any mentipn of them here, so thought i'd share :D :

Attachments

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Cool, I like the greasable bolt idea, anything to help get grease in all the nooks and crannies.

TPIJeep said:
Looks like an RE bearing WITHOUT any side adustment.. I can see the snap rings poping out under load!
I think the actual "Johnny Joint" from Curry is designed just like that, but with a 5/8" bolt. Only the RE has the adjustable end.

·
Vendor
2,020 Posts
That's the same thing as a Currie. If you take a Currie joint apart the poly has a Daystar part number on it. Good to know you can get them from Daystar now.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
TPIJeep said:
Looks like an RE bearing WITHOUT any side adustment.. I can see the snap rings poping out under load!
Yup I really don't like that part. I wish RE's were threaded on both sides.

350 Samurai said:
Cool, I like the greasable bolt idea, anything to help get grease in all the nooks and crannies.
It really isn't needed, if it is made with the right compound all the grease does is push dirt and grim out not actually lube it.

·
Vendor
3,745 Posts
The only difference between the daystar and currie is the daystar has a snap ring on both sides and currie machines a lip on one side and uses a snap ring on the other side. I have the old style currie ones (2 snaprings like the daystar) and I haven't had any problem except the washers start to bend out, but it still stays together fine, as far as treads vs snaprings go, if you look at the specs of a snapring that size the max load is suprisingly high.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i'll try them, if they break i'll post it...if they don't i'll post that too.

i'm going to run them w/ rancho 44044's and 39.5 tsl's we'll how they hold up :flipoff2:

i'm not sure if these are actually on the market yet or not.....my rep turned me onto them earlier this week when i was placing an order....so i figured what the hell :D

not sure what the final reatail is, but they list the MSRP on their site for 2.5" width at $74.91 ea. should be a bit less at competative retail.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have the allpro jonny joints (untested as of now) and they look exactly the same? Snap ring on one side only is the difference as far as I can tell.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
As far as the greasable bolt goes. I have run both Johnny Joints and RE joints (currently). I have had much better luck using them without any grease at all. At first I used to grease them but all it did was attract dust and dirt making them wear too fast. Since not using grease I get a lot longer life out them between rebuilds.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Have fun "pressing" in the bushings :flipoff2:

I had a similer joint from all pro (i think) cost was ~45ish, 9/16 greeable bolt etc... Was good for my use, like mentioned id be carfule with the side loading on the c-clips...

Next time will be using a RE Joint with the nylon inserts and threaded end. (had good luck w/ em on the TJ suspension) Took 45min of screwing around to get the polys pushed in enoguht to get the clip on, mine had washer on 1 end. clip on other...

I ended up sanding down the poly some to help it go in, but at that point i didnt care if it was sloppy...

-yag

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
StupidTrooper said:
not sure what the final reatail is, but they list the MSRP on their site for 2.5" width at $74.91 ea. should be a bit less at competative retail.
You need to shop around. I only paid $28 apiece for my RE's. I bought 34 when I bought mine (group buy), but they are only listed at $38. Are you sure that price isn't for the ones that go in a spring eye?

TDW said:
As far as the greasable bolt goes. I have run both Johnny Joints and RE joints (currently). I have had much better luck using them without any grease at all. At first I used to grease them but all it did was attract dust and dirt making them wear too fast. Since not using grease I get a lot longer life out them between rebuilds.
How long are yours lasting before you have to rebuild?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts