Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lookin into a set for my dads bronco and was wondering if there were any reports on them?

Sticky? Tread life? Durability?

Nate

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
I ran a set of 36x12:50x16.5's goodyear mt-II military ones 90% tread or better on an 82 toyota for about a year. They worked real well, used them on the Rubicon, and they did work. on the street they were very good! Quite too, only downside would be that you can't air them down much, I stayed at 12psi or so and 17 street, but they still worked well. and didn't see any were on them. oh ya sidewalls are tougher then any swamper too:eek:

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SeaBass44 said:
I ran a set of 36x12:50x16.5's goodyear mt-II military ones 90% tread or better on an 82 toyota for about a year. They worked real well, used them on the Rubicon, and they did work. on the street they were very good! Quite too, only downside would be that you can't air them down much, I stayed at 12psi or so and 17 street, but they still worked well. and didn't see any were on them. oh ya sidewalls are tougher then any swamper too:eek:
thats all exactly what i wanted to hear... except.. why not air em down?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
i ran them on my 93 3/4 ton dodge diesel 4x4 the truck weighed in at 8k #s. they lasted about 25k on that pig. they were quite at the first, but got alot noiser after they started to wear. they would chuck some mud pretty well, and they sticked to everything pretty good. hell for the price you can't beat'em, as long as you are getting them cheap. mike

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
i ran the bias mts. and the side walls are great, my buddie sxs got some thorns through them and the good years were fine. mike

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
cool.. yeah cheap is the thing....

looks like we can get a set of 36's with 80+ tread for ~$250

37's with 80%+ for ~$500

:eek:

couple that with the rims we just orderd from daniel, a 72 bronco full width, and a mild 5.0. Think we have a decent rig in the making to teach my dad how to drive on the rocks in. :D :D

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
I wheeld with a guy who did once. They gripped pretty good, but it was hard to tell since they were aired all the way up. I think they would be an excellent tire for the price. He said he got them cause he can get them all day long for $50 a piece.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SeaBass44 said:
couldn't air down cause no safty bead. worked great in mud
ahhh.. gotcha.. hopefully these hummer rims will cure that ;)

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
My dad and I are both going to run them this summer, I just put full size under my lil sblazer and have hummer rims too. I only have experience with them from my prior service military days, and I can tell you on trail conditions (little wet, little loose) the bias ply work really well, I plan to cut mine up a bit like daniel did in this pic, I think the radials arent as aggresive a tread but probably work just fine on rock and such. They wear really well from my experience

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
I have some in the garage I`m gonna run until the funds come in for the larger SXs... I`d say mine are about 80-85% the outer most lug is a lot larger thanit looks in any picture I have seen..

I plan to groove mine like the pic above too..

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I ran a set of MTs on my K1500 (NOT hummer-size tires). Got 60K miles out of 'em without any problems, and was happy with their performance in mud, snow and rocks. Previous set of tires I put a rock through the center of the tread on one about 2/3 of the way though the trail between Ballarat and Badwater, then South of Socorro I put rocks through the treads of three tires pretty much simultaneously - I'm kinda hard on tires, but those MT's stood up well. Would've bought another set if they still made 'em. Having said that I cut a sidewall out of a 37" MT and was astonished at how easily it happened. I'm sure the radial sidewalls are a lot weaker than the 36" bias however.

·
5,599 Posts
TexasBlakeWFO said:
He said he got them cause he can get them all day long for $50 a piece.
I found two of my radials for $60 each 80+ tread.:eek:

Jacks the best.

Jacks military surpluss...

Took like 2hrs to find two worty tires but if you got time to search through the yard and 1000s of tires, its worth the price.. I love climbing on 10ft mounds of military tires :D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Careful here. The 36's are NOT MT's, they are RT/II's. 36, 12.5 x 16.5 Bias Ply (the siped ones above in the picture are RT/II's)

Hummer MT's are Radial, 37 x 12.5 x 16.5. They are a pretty good standard MT type tire.

Sidewalls are substantually weaker than MT/R's or Krawlers, however.

I've personally never had a sidewall problem. I've run through a few sets on Hummers. OK tire.

If you can get them for 50-80 each, they are a great deal used.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
oh ya sidewalls are tougher then any swamper too:eek: [/B]
If that is the case...Then why are all the SF Humvees in Afganistan switching to 36x12.50x16.5 TSL/SX's?????

BECAUSE THE TSL/SX's HAVE TOUGHER SIDEWALLS!!!

They were tearing sidewalls out of the Goodyears all the time..

De Oppresso Libre

Rob

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I ran the RT IIs last year.

They absolutely SUCK in mud (I guess I was spoiled by TSLs) and the peat bogs in Nova Scotia (just ask Billavista or Chad Lloyd).

They do WELL on rocks.

I also found used ones (I have like 10 of these damn things) to be completely untrue and they caused HORRIBLE death wobble.

I am going to 39.5 TSLs.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
BTW---Daniel I got my Beadlocks last week....Look Great...Everyone who sees them drools all over the show room floor!!!

Rob Usnick
Fayetteville nc

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
yield2me said:

If that is the case...Then why are all the SF Humvees in Afganistan switching to 36x12.50x16.5 TSL/SX's?????

BECAUSE THE TSL/SX's HAVE TOUGHER SIDEWALLS!!!

They were tearing sidewalls out of the Goodyears all the time..

De Oppresso Libre

Rob
I have had tsl's sx's and I run boggers now, the goodyear rtII's with 10 plys 6 in the sidewalls WERE TOUGHER, I don't care what you or the army says:p just cause they are changing, don't make them right:cool:
P.S. since they don't run the rt's anymore, I bet they are swapping out the 37's, the radials with weak sidewalls...Hmmmmmmmmmmmm................

1 - 20 of 27 Posts