Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously, seriously considering an RPK for a future build. So much that I am placing an order for a kit this weekend.

Any thoughts? Anyone built one before, or have any links to any good writeups?

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Build an RPG instead. I would LOVE to see Gil's thread on that. :D

Someone must offer a parts kit for one of those...

If you know how the trigger mechanism on an RPG works, they're really pretty easy to assemble out of a piece of tubing and a few moving parts...

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Build an RPG instead. I would LOVE to see Gil's thread on that. :D

Someone must offer a parts kit for one of those...
I can't afford the ammo or reload at home :flipoff2:

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So here's the kit. It's a yugo RPK from centerfiresystems.com. Appears to be in ok, but not great, shape. There is light rust on parts, and finish is worn heavily--not that any of this matters, as I will sandblast and duracoat it.

As a bit of a disappointment, the crown is non-existent, and the barrel failed the bullet test. I hear centerfiresystems.com may be selling new RPK barrels very soon... so this project will get shelved for a while until I can figure out what options are available.

With several other projects already lined up, 2008 is going to be a very busy year for rifle projects. Because of that, this RPK might not get touched again until 2009, but I might get to it sooner, only time will tell....

I'll update the thread as I make progress, but don't expect anything here for a while...

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that built of a standard AK reciever?

It has a wider barrel trunion, therefore required a bulged receiver. It is close to a standard AK, but not exact.

It is the same receiver that the VEPR is based off of.

Anyone got any sources for 80% RPK receivers?? :D

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
I can't afford the ammo or reload at home :flipoff2:
C'mon Gil its cheap to make those mamajamma's. I could built one just with what I have in my garage

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The RPKs have 1.6mm receivers with the bulged trunnion. Yugo and Romys have the trunnion rivet holes in different locations, so they wont interchange.

Cold steel blanks come dimpled, with an incorrect template installed. One other company (bent metal, iirc) has non-dimpled RPK shells for less. There is also a guy on GB selling 100% Yugo RPK receivers fairly cheap.

I have a Romy RPK kit that I completed the demil on, but its been put away. The finish was worn, but it does pass the bullet test. I have been working on mutt-G kits lately, and probably wont get to my RPK until I run out of flats, and play around with a milled receiver/ repair plates.

EDIT: I would like to build an RPG, but I havent really looked into what it takes.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
C'mon Gil its cheap to make those mamajamma's. I could built one just with what I have in my garage
[atfvoice]
Just ignore all the black suburbans out front and the helicopters circling. Everything is fine here.
[/atfvoice]

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After scrubbing out the barrel, it is very clear this barrel is completely useless. Rifling is poor, bore is pitted and rusted throughout, crown is non-existent, and the bullet test was good for a laugh.

So, does anyone have any sources for good RPK barrles?

I'm seeing APEX offers original Yugo barrels for cheap, but are there any other, or better options?

·
Registered
26,689 Posts
Buy an Apex barrel for now, and hope that Copes to get some more new barrels made. The used barrel from Apex won't go down in value, but they might disappear.

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Apex barrel is on it's way.

Here's some pics of the current barrel. This is definitely the worst bore I've ever personally seen...

Crown

Bullet test

Down the bore

From the other end

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks match grade to me:flipoff2:

I totally agree :flipoff2:

2 barrels from Apex should be on their way. Hopefully at least one will be usable. The other can sit in my closet and maybe collect some value along with the dust...

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Updating the thread finally...

Got the barrels a while back. One is usable and in good condition, the other is usable, but only if I planned on cutting it down a couple inches, moving back the rear sight block, making new threads on the end, and doing a good crown job... so no, it's not gonna get used. But at least I have a good barrel to use now.

And this guy finally showed up after weeks and weeks of waiting. Now I can finally get started on building this thing...

This is a coldsteel receiver blank. It comes with a template. Overall, it is about 2mm shorter than a standard AK flat, and the bulges are not very symmetrical. I'll update as I make progress on the build...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts