Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:question:hey all, I was wondering how hard it it to do the rear u joint install on a 95 4runner is it pretty simple??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Real simple
real simple like i can do it in my drive way , or take it to a mech.
simple??mind you i'm no gearhead , but i can use tools.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
All depends on where you are installing said u-joint...

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
step one place large socket under cap
sep two use socket slightly smaller than cap
step three hit socket from step 2 with hammet until bottom cap falls into socket from step one
step four pound u joint other way so that you can remove flange
step five repeat same for the drive shaft side

·
Registered
199 Posts
dont forget to remove the keepers from either the inner clip or the outer clip..... I personally use a vice and said socket (or round shaft of steel) in above method... but do us all a favor and get the greasable kind... just pay attention to the needle bearings and keep them in the correct position, as the joint normally doesnt want to go together when the needles end up in the bottom of the cup.

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
you also can use a ball joint press tool or a big c-clamp if you dont want to go the hammer/socket/vise way.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
I thought you had to be ASE certified to perform ujoint installs:confused:
woo hoo, does that mean I am ase certified???
if you need anything but a hammer, a pair of pliers or a screw driver (depending on the clips) you aren't cut out to change u-joints. or buy a u-joint ball joint c clamp tool from h/f.
toyota's are quite tough to get the factory joints out some times. it is like they are to fat in the middle to press the caps out all the way. but not that bad. hit the yoke with the hammer, but do not hit the opening for the caps, and do not hit the tube.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Some joints use external snap rings that clip in under the yoke loops and some use internal that clip inside the yolk holes. Make sure you aren't trying to force a cap through a snap ring! I've had some that required beating it the "wrong" way to take the pressure off the snap ring so I could remove it. Once the snap ring is out of the way it's just a matter of forcing the joint off-center in order to push the caps out of the yoke loops. I did my first u-joint swap when I was 12 without any help so I'm sure you can figure it out easily enough once you get into it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts