Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to how your shifter works out and what not. I have my tranny under the truck and I actually cut a big peice out of the tunnel in the cab for ease of install and removal (so i can take the top off the tranny with it in the truck still.) Im not sure how that big crazy long shifter is going to jive with my bench seat though.

Anyone else running this arrangment? Input?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
We put the SM465 out of my parts truck in my buddy's 94. A torch was used and adjustments were made. We had to heat the stick up and bend it back alittle so you did'nt smack your knuckles off the dash.

P.S. and in my 78 we had to bend it forward because it would go back down against the seat.

·
Registered
809 Posts
An SM465 was available from the factory until the 4500. My dad has a '91 std. cab with a bench seat and the 465. The shifter is straight, not curved like the older 465's.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting.... I do have an older 465 so maybe Ill just take the shifter from my original 5 speed (straight ) and do a cut and weld job on the ol 465 shifter... be cool if I could reuse the factory shift boot too. LOL

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Probably could. Would have been nice to know it was an option earlier, I would imagine. Probably would have made everything a lot easier?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah it isnt "hard" in the first place its just FAWKIN HEAVY!!

Its stupid how heavy that shit is. I need an atlas LOL

My bro in law came by last night and volunteered to help me finish putting it in...although that wont be until next week cause Im outta town this weekend again : ( I need to borrow tha digi and get some pics of the ol turd LOL

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
Holy shit, he surfaces!!!!!!!!
yeah, my big truck has the factory 465, staight stick, everything else the same. If you don't mind ruining that stick off that badass getrag, cut and paste it over. Easy shit.
P.S. the back of Ben's s-10 is tubed out and looks badass. Maybe one of us should carry our digi with us :shaking:

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
The SM465 in the 88-91 IFS 4x4 trucks have an aluminum top cover with the shifter ~4" further back. That would explain some of you guys' fitment issues.

There are straight old-school SM465 shifters. I had one in a '69 C20. The SM420 shifters are straight too... one of those might fit.

·
Registered
208 Posts
is the pilot bushing the same on the older/newer sm465 ? workin on swapin mine....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts