·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen it, have you?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is there tech to related to this question? Do you want to know something specific about spring under?

I personally have a few questions about spring under axles:

Is there less axle wrap, more articulation, smoother ride, and is there a tendency to break main leaves?

Hopefully someone can jump in and give some tech related info.

·
Registered
472 Posts
This last week I have been thinking the same thing. I am swapping in 1tons, 40's, and sbc want to keep it real low, thought about doing a spring under but there seem to be more positives to a spring over than a spring under.

Just speculation on what i have searched and read, I have very little experience with either and my opinion is as worthless as... ( insert here )

Spring over
more travel, more axle clearance, ?absorbs hard its better? flater springs to acheive desired hieght, may need track bar to prevent axle wrap
Spring under
lower ride hieght is acheived easily, less spring wrap, less flex, less axle clearance ...Etc...

Just some BS I have heard.

I think I am going to use 3" TG springs, SOA, and French the hangers, some other stuff to keep it low, around 105"-110" wheelbase, runs some beafy trac bars to prevent axle wrap and hope it works.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Spring under is :rainbow:---- Kinda makes you wonder why heeps were that way :laughing:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts

not in a rock crawling application, but in desert racing i have seen it quite a bit... loooong lightly arched deaver's spring under to keep it low but still pull 17+in of wheel travel and control axle wrap without any sort of traction aid that can limit free travel.

almost looks as if you could use some 63in chevy's to do the same thing with... that is if you were super budget!

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
almost looks as if you could use some 63in chevy's to do the same thing with... that is if you were super budget!

Throw those turds in the garbage :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fred willaims at petersons 4wheel did it to clampy, but only in the rear.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
fred willaims at petersons 4wheel did it to clampy, but only in the rear.
Thats like a ---magazine isn't it :laughing:

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Yes, actually I have. On Land Cruiser FJ40's, 55's, 60's, 70's etc.

DSI said:
not in a rock crawling application, but in desert racing i have seen it quite a bit... loooong lightly arched deaver's spring under to keep it low but still pull 17+in of wheel travel and control axle wrap without any sort of traction aid that can limit free travel.

Oh, you just dont look back long enough. Didn't Jeff Wagoner win the ARCA champs in '99 with a SUA Jeep? :flipoff2:

Anyway, neat advantages to SUA:
•Less Spring Wrap
•More Uptravel

Downside:
•Less articulation
•Less Ground Clearence

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
I wheel with a couple YJ's that are spring under and whenever they are in the rocks, they are constantly dragging and bashing the springs and spring plates. I find it quite funny when they get totally hung up on the spring plates!!!! While aspring over rig would just drive right over it. For just trail running, sand, snow, mud spring under works fine. But if you like to get into the rocks I would keep EVERYTHING above the axle tubes.
couldnt you chalk that up to driver error?

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
was driving home yesterday and saw this tacoma in front of me and saw a brand new lift on it. leaf under? wtf? 2wd?! yep pulled up next to it and it was maybe barely higher than a stock tacoma. had a windsheild sticker across the front that said offroad illusions. haha!! :laughing: almost shit my pants how dumb it was.

·
Registered
411 Posts
was driving home yesterday and saw this tacoma in front of me and saw a brand new lift on it. leaf under? wtf? 2wd?! yep pulled up next to it and it was maybe barely higher than a stock tacoma. had a windsheild sticker across the front that said offroad illusions. haha!! :laughing: almost shit my pants how dumb it was.
Prerunner.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a 2wd non-prerunner, and it's spring under... I would love to SPOA it and raise the front to match, but it will still just be a 2wd...so whats the since (besides the fact it will look better)

I will waste my money on my 4x4 projects...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts