Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently slipping some one tons under the ole girl and would very much love to hack and tap the rear output to eliminate the slip yoke. No doubt the output shaft is hardened but I'm curious if I whack an inch or so of shaft off would it be easier to drill? I've seen a couple of DIY examples of where they cut off an inch or so of shaft, I assume because the material is softer and easier to drill?? I bought several new cobalt bits and went at the shaft today......I doubt I even scratched the surface...lol. Anyway, just wanted to check to see if anyone had any knowledge before I went full experimental.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks fantastic! Any chance you remember how much you had to take off before you could get a drill bit in there?

·
Under Powered
905 Posts
All you need is a carbide tipped masonry bit to get through the case hardening on the shaft. I used a 1/2" bit to cut *just* through the hardening, then switched to a lighter duty bit that I could control better (masonry bits are a REALLY coarse cut). I did not cut mine down at all. I know you asked about a 2nd Gen but this kind of stuff is really all the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts