Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna see a ripped sidewall, or even a RUMOR about a ripped sidewall. My brother ran these on his Wrangler a while back and the damn things stuck to everything! We rubbed the sidewalls on everything out there(even with the sharp ass granite in the Black Hills), and not a scratch. He ran the 36x14.50s and not one single weight was needed to balance them. One was a little off, so they just broke it down and remounted it 180 degrees, and it was right on. So, if these tires are so great(and they are, I've seen it)why aren't they seen in the comps? Hell, they even make the now popular 37x12.50 17."
I don't wanna here about price or the fact that it's a radial, so are all the MTRs and the BFGs, and they are much more spendy than the 'Nellis. So, where are the Nellis?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a pic in action(sorta). About ten seconds after this, he drops the front tire off a ledge and the sidewall slides straight down the edge of a granite fin. I've even sliced off some SX sidebiters here, but the Nellis prevailed. The only thing I don't like about the Nellis is that they lack a prominent shoulder lug like a Swamper.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I've heard these things run pretty big, is that true? Seem bigger than a comparable sized swamper or BFG/Goodyear?

The 37x12.50x17 is $237... not TOO bad... EPECIALLY if they run big, and are larger than the 36" high 38x12.50 swampers. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
The 36x14.50 my bud has on his truck run a true 36 in. tall. They are a very nice tire & they do balance GREAT. I have been thinking that they would do pretty good crawling with.....But I guess when you can buy a 38.5 TSL for $190.00 compared to the 36 PJ for about $265.00......there is no guess which one will be "rolling" on many "budget" rigs.....:D

·
Premium Member
16,679 Posts
I've seen theat YJ around town before. Love the paint job!!

I guess I havn't really had any good chances to test my PJ's for sidewall strength. The side lugs arn't too bad. But then again I've only had them in the rocks once and wasn't really aired down enough.

I don't see why no one is running them in comps. Unless they just don't know about the and are brainwashed in thinking you have to run MTR's or Krawlers or you aren't cool.

Hopefully I'll be able to go wheel tomorrow and get some rocks under them. But I havn't heard of anyone ripping a sidewall. I now Dan at Burns Off Road ran them for awhile and when I talked to him he never said anything about ripping them open.

My 31's( yeah fawk off :flipoff2:) run true at 31" tall where as my buddies 32" Swampers measured just a hair over 30" tall.

Twisted, where did you have your balanced? When I did mine they took about five ounces, and they gave me some crap about having to put weight on the inside and outside.

·
Registered
251 Posts
twistedmetal said:
So, if these tires are so great(and they are, I've seen it)why aren't they seen in the comps? Hell, they even make the now popular 37x12.50 17."

The only thing I don't like about the Nellis is that they lack a prominent shoulder lug like a Swamper.
You kinda answered your own question. I have seen them in action and agree with you on the sticky part. However, they don't work well for climbing out of ruts or using the sidewall to climb a rock.

·
Premium Member
16,679 Posts
Well it's not like the MTR's or Krawlers have great side lugs either. Well Iguess the krawlers might but the MTR's don't seem to have anything special, at least compared to the swampers.

I think people probably either are already sponsered with BFG or Goodyear or are just to pussy to take the chance and try new tires. You might lose if you try something different!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: Anyone ever seen a trashed Parnelli?

Whiplash said:

You kinda answered your own question. I have seen them in action and agree with you on the sticky part. However, they don't work well for climbing out of ruts or using the sidewall to climb a rock.
Weasel pretty much answered the question for me. Nothing in the comps I have seen/watched seems to require a shoulder lug. It's pretty hard to let 'em grab while pegging the rev limiter:rolleyes: . The stickiness is what makes me wonder why they aren't in the comps, the lack of shoulder lugs might make them suck where the wheelin REALLY rocks: The Black Hills! I definately use my SX's for all they're worth, but for that matter, my bro's 'Nellis followed me right along.
Weasel: Check out www.midwestcrawler.com See you there!

·
Registered
151 Posts
TNToy said:
I've heard these things run pretty big, is that true? Seem bigger than a comparable sized swamper or BFG/Goodyear?

The 37x12.50x17 is $237... not TOO bad... EPECIALLY if they run big, and are larger than the 36" high 38x12.50 swampers. :rolleyes:
Where did you find the PJ 37x12.50x17 for $237? I think I need a set of those and some of Walkers Beadlocks.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ChinLei said:

Where did you find the PJ 37x12.50x17 for $237? I think I need a set of those and some of Walkers Beadlocks.
Have you priced Walkers locks, yet, Jim? I know you can pick up a set of High Impacts for $160ea. I hate the idea of jumpin up to 17s already. Especially since I just got my 15s and haven't even mounted them, yet!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Twisted...

I saw a post here with a pricefor Walkers beadlocks. I think it was $260 or somewhere close. Can you really get the PJ 37's for $237?

I agree with you. Why should you jump up to a 17" wheel, your 15's will never see the trail! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Uh, yeah, the WEBSITE would be a good place to start!:flipoff2:

Actually, get on www.rockbuggysupply.com and they are holding a group buy on them. I think they are sitting at about $150 ea.

Chin-- National Tire & Wheel has the 37x12.50 15" for $237 and the 37x12.50 17" for $275. I'm sure if you played the numbers game they would come down a LOT.

:( My 38x15.50 15" are $299 ea. That stings my tushy.

·
Premium Member
16,679 Posts
you know you want them........:vader:

did your bro get his rig from chimmney canyon 4x4? I remeber seeing something like that sitting out front for sale once.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts