Pirate 4x4 banner

Anyone ever tow a deuce?

8K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  MattS 
#1 ·
i found a 2.5 ton truck but i need to tow it and i dont know if it is even possible. i have a 25' trailer that will hold 15,000lb's, just trying to see if it has been done before.

#5 ·
Steel Soldiers is the best forum for this question.

However, there is a pic that I will try to dig up of one SS picking up his Deuce by flat trailering it with what looks like a 3/4 ton. I'll try to find it and post the link here.

Ok, in return, I want details, pics etc. on the Deuce you found. I"m not the competition since I'm not ready to buy one (Feb. '06, if then) but I'm trying to learn and see as much as I can before then. All help appreciated.

Alright, let me go look for the pic....

Al

#7 ·
deuce towing

An empty 2.5 truck weighs approx. 13,000lbs give or take a few hundred depending on if you have a spare, troop seats and hard top etc.
If you buy it from Govliquidation be aware that they may or may not have drained oil from the diffs so make sure you check everything.
I went an hired a bigrig when I got mine, cost me about $300 to have him deliver it for me.

#10 ·
Standard practice on 18 wheeler towing is to disconnect the driveshaft and release the parking brake springs with T-bolts (look at a tandem axle truck's brake diaphragms one pair has a springs in it that will apply if there isn't air pressure). Deuces use Air *over* hydraulic so you shouldn't have to worry about air brake springs at all. They use a cable operated parking brake (I think the 5 tons use straight air brakes). The book says just put T-case in neutral and release the parking brake.

#13 ·
It'll pull it, but be careful about stopping it. Also, something like a Deuce will want to push you sideways in turns so watch your speed and make sure the trailer brakes are adjusted right. I'd still rather haul it with another Deuce or a 5 ton...

#14 ·
ahh if the truck and trailer is only 19000 it should be able to do it. a new ford can pull 16000 and thats stock if you got a upgraded tranny and some really good brakes on the truck and trailer (mainly the trailer) and take it slow you shouldnt have any problems.

#15 ·
Any trailer capable of hauling 13,000 lbs is going to need to be at LEAST 20,000 lb GVWR. The pin weight on that gooseneck is going to be so heavy it'd likely pop E rated tires on a SRW truck like they were nothing. A well-equipped DRW truck might pull it for a short distance, but I wouldn't even think about it with a single wheel truck.

Keep in mind that you're going to be at least 25% overloaded, quite possibly more than that. I'd put this in the, "So unsafe it's worth hiring somebody" crowd.

#18 ·
How far do you have to go??? And max out the PSI on the sidewall of your tires. If you strip the bed, fuel tanks, duals, hood, fenders, doors, bumpers you can probably loose enough to get it down to 10,000#

#20 ·
Not what you are hauling be we haul our John Deere 4455 with a 78 Chevy dually w/454 and a 32' GN. They spec out at 14,500lb without the duals and the front wheel assist so ours has to be close to 17,000lb. We only haul it a max of 90 miles and stay to the back roads and keep the speeds lower but it is faster than driving it the 90 miles to our other farm. Never once had a problem.

No pics of it loaded but here is a pic of an identicle tractor

#21 ·
Rockcrawler_101 said:
i had a freind that pulled 27000 pounds with his dodge one ton. So you should be able to do it no problem. you just got to take it nice and slow and have everything setup properly.
was his truck a dually? im only sw ,wondering about loading it backwards to get the
bulk of the weight on the trailer axles and off my truck.

#23 ·
okie 1 ton yj said:
I recently hauled anM36 [longer than an M35] with a 91 F350 non turbo 7.3 diesel on a 30 foot gn trailer. It pulled fine but you know that it is behind you.
its my tires and the tounge weight that concerns me ,i dont want to blow a tire.they are bfg a/t load range d but the # rating is that of a e range tire.remember its not a dually,i found some f load range tires,but i dont know if it will be needed.

#24 ·
Not a deuce, but 13,450lbs of load on the trailer according to the Cat scale I used to weigh the truck, trailer and combo.

Keep in mind that my trailer is 3300lbs empty.

It was too much weight for us to take any distance. A gooseneck would have made it better. I was very close to the gross vehicle weight allowed. With that deuce, I think you'd be over any pick up's CGVW (truck, trailer and load weight).

Do it right, you only live once.

Attachments

#25 ·
i tow with a dodge dually for a living i just crossed the country at over 26k. your rear tires are going to be hurting and you could do some serious damage to your truck. if you put to much weight on the rear of the trailer you'll be looking at a fish tale problem which will again be very hard on your truck. flat towing anything double your weight is stupid. have looked at having it shipped????

#26 ·
It was pretty evenly and it was a dually. I wouldnt pull in with anything less then E rated tires. Just make sure the load is even then there shouldnt be and more then 1000 pounds on your truck. you put most the wieght on the trailer. Also dont put to much wieght on the back i did that once (utility bed weighed more then i thought) and it was the scariest trip ever in my life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.