Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, since this is what I currentley own. It's rated to tow like 7800 lbs. Don't have a trailer yet to tow my FJ40, but maybe someday.

Tom

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Camo did for a while. I towed (flat tow) my 40 with an F150 Supercrew, pretty sinilar to the Ex.;)

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
My bro tows with one now. Just make sur to check them lugnuts.

Dimitri

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
My wife has one and I have towed with it a few times. It does good, nothing like my Cummins :) but it's not too bad. I would get some air bags for the rear if you plan on towing with it alot. BTW mine has the 4.6 . The best thing about using it was being able to sleep in the back on weekend trips.

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
ToyotaTom said:
Just curious, since this is what I currentley own. It's rated to tow like 7800 lbs. Don't have a trailer yet to tow my FJ40, but maybe someday.

Tom
7,800 would be a pretty hefty load for any "1/2 ton vehicle". My personal limit would be more along the lines of 5,500 - 6k max. Should be able to do that with "relative" safety.

TEX

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
FWIW...........

Here are Fords tow caps on the Expys....

Expedition 4.6 V-8 5900

Expedition 5.4 V-8 8100

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Expedition Towing

Our 5.4L Expedition serves double duty. Primary wife's DD, and my tow rig.

I tow an all steel 16' trailer (appx 1500lbs) and a CJ7 (until the 4Runner is done) that weighs 3000lbs without weekend gear. So, total weight probably around 5-5500k lbs including gas, gear and passengers.

Towing mileage is between 6-8mpg, which is same as my friend's Dodge 2500 V10 4x4 towing the same weight. Driving the small-moderate hills that Michigan has.

The truck tows nice, the ride is overall good, and with both axles having brakes quick stops are not scarry. I'm overall pleased, because I can get a couple extra passengers to the trail in comfort.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice to hear other people tow with this thing. Mine's a '97 5.4l and it seems pretty gutless towing our 19' travel trailer(3k+ lbs.). I took it to Wyo last summer and got 8-9 mpg and any hills I had my foot in it and was rappin' ~4000 rpm's for what seemed like an eternity! I'm somewhat of a newbie tow'er, so, maybe that's normal!
Tom

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
ToyotaTom said:
Nice to hear other people tow with this thing. Mine's a '97 5.4l and it seems pretty gutless towing our 19' travel trailer(3k+ lbs.). I took it to Wyo last summer and got 8-9 mpg and any hills I had my foot in it and was rappin' ~4000 rpm's for what seemed like an eternity! I'm somewhat of a newbie tow'er, so, maybe that's normal!
Tom
If your going to tow with it more often you better buy a good tranny cooler before you have to buy a new tranny. My wifes 4.6 seems to rev pretty high also.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
I tow with mine and its fine. Towed like a dream to JV and back but is a little slow towing up the mountains. Recommend helper (overload) springs in the rear. Otherwise, its a nice compromise between tow rig and family vehicle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's got the factory tow package which includes a tranny cooler , I believe... Is this good enough?
I did put in Amsoil ATF.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Along the same lines, what are your opinions on towing with the new Expeditions with the rear independent suspension? I currently have a '99 F150 with the 5.4 and am pretty happy towing 5,000 pounds with it. I am thinking of getting a new 2003 Exp but am hesitant about that IRS. I am sure it will pull ok, just wondering about the handling and it sagging too much in the back. What do you think?

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
ToyotaTom said:
It's got the factory tow package which includes a tranny cooler , I believe... Is this good enough?
I did put in Amsoil ATF.
It may be good enough, but how much is an aftermarket cooler $75 ? I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4 with the tow package and camper package and I'm going to replace the stock cooler with a larger one and I'm not going to tow over 7000. The qiuckest thing to kill your tranny is heat. Better safe than sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts