Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a pimp 1981 J-20 with 35K . I am planning on towing my CJ with it. CJ is gonna be pretty light weight.

I am probably gonna buy a 16 or 18ft trailer.

I just want to know if anyone has any expierence towing with these old iron Jeep Pickups.

It lived in a firehouse all of its life and is pretty well equipped. IT has Dual Batteries and a huge Tranny Cooler. I plan on adding a fan to the tranny cooler and doing some engine upgrades such as intake,carb,headers and exhaust.

The standard equipment on the rig is 360,727,208,D44 and D60 out back. I figure its got the right platform to make a good hauler ands its 3/4 ton. It has 3:73's right now. I am planning a mild lift and some 35s and 4:56's.

I only need it tow my junk to Paragon which is 2.5 hours from me. Any real word advice would be great.

thanks
RK

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Sweet!

A friends Dad used his J20 to tow a 28' fifth wheel motorhome. A little too much for my taste, but he did fine.

With the 3/4 ton chassis you should be set. For my Wagoneer that 360 liked to drink gas like crazy (6 to 8 mpg!)! Worst problem was the "low mileage" turned out to mean a major headache... original owner didn't believe in detergent oil. Just old non detergent 30W... He passed away, and his wife kept driving, adding oil as needed. She finally stopped driving after forcing a caliper piston through the rotor (she hit the garage door pulling into the driveway!). No idea how anyone could have driven with that much noise from the metal on metal brakes... but she did!

Lots of little problems... but when I first would checkoil... it was 2 quarts low. Dumped in two quarts.... it was STILL LOW? :confused: Check in the morning... it was back to normal. OK? When I went to replace the leaking valve cover gasket I discovered a quart of oil up there! Plugged oil drain holes.

Spent days scraping out the valve covers, and oil pan, of old junk. Added good detergent changing oil & filter every month. Finally figured either cam, or lifters, were toast... traded it in after I got majority of it fixed, repaired.

Best addition for towing... Bilstein shocks. Love 'em, and helped reduce the sway. That and a decent steering stabilizer.

Still -- cool find! :)

Tom :usa:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts